Communications & Marketing
Managerial, Professional and Specialist Staff – MPSS
Assistant International Officer
The International Office is seeking to appoint an Assistant International Officer.
The role holder will undertake a crucial customer facing role in implementing the University’s international student recruitment strategy. This post will involve regular travel overseas and within the UK (up to 16 weeks/weekends per year, including unsociable hours).
The post holder will support the strategic and operational activities of the international recruitment team and will be required to maintain and develop a knowledge and awareness of the entire University portfolio. Working flexibly as part of a dedicated team the post holder will travel extensively to a range of international markets and UK destinations to represent and promote the University. The post holder will maintain and enhance the University’s global position of first choice among international candidates and contribute to the implementation of student recruitment strategies in all markets under the guidance of International Officers and Regional Managers.
The International Office has a blended approach to working, currently we work on campus on Wednesdays and Thursdays and remotely (from home) for the rest of the week. The option to work on campus full time is available if staff members choose to do this.
The post is full-time and open-ended.
Salary: £32,332 – £34,980 per annum (Grade 5)
Date Advert posted: 20 November 2023
Closing date: 11 December 2023
Cardiff University is committed to supporting and promoting equality and diversity and to creating an inclusive working environment. We believe this can be achieved through attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse range of staff from many different backgrounds. We therefore welcome applicants from all sections of the community regardless of sex, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, trans identity, relationship status, religion or belief, caring responsibilities, or age. In supporting our employees to achieve a balance between their work and their personal lives, we will also consider proposals for flexible working or job share arrangements.
International Student Recruitment
Working flexibly as part of a dedicated team, including some unsociable hours, you will:
• Develop and maintain a comprehensive knowledge of all related Cardiff University
information including study opportunities, entrance requirements and processes, student fees and finances, teaching methods, accommodation and leisure facilities to ensure you are supportive of the recruitment process. Provide potential international applicants and their advisers with accurate information and advice concerning this.
• Provide professional advice and guidance on processes and procedures to internal and external customers, using judgement and creativity to suggest the most appropriate course of action where appropriate, and ensuring complex and conceptual issues are understood.
• Organise and undertake recruitment visits overseas and within the UK to assist in the recruitment of students from a range of overseas markets as determined within the University International Recruitment Strategy.
• Represent the University at exhibitions, school/university visits, pre departure briefings, and work with education advisors.
• Monitor, evaluate and report on the effectiveness of recruitment activities undertaken to inform future activity and strategy.
• Assist with the development of country sub-strategies, managing the implementation and co-ordination of associated activities.
• Work collaboratively with the International Recruitment Team to input towards recommendations on general activities to optimise international student recruitment, theselection and management of educational advisors acting on behalf of the University, the process of new market selection.
• Investigate and analyse specific issues and data to inform strategy decisions, establishing basic trends and patterns in recruitment data and create reports as appropriate.
• Establish working relationships with Colleges and Academic Schools in relation to the development and implementation of school international student recruitment strategies.
• Assist with the organisation and management of high profile visits to the University of various stakeholders in the recruitment process.
• Develop and maintain a wide range of international contacts that can assist in optimising international recruitment and contribute to the University’s mission.
• Manage your own learning and development in discussion with your line manager.
• Ensure that an understanding of the importance of confidentiality is applied when undertaking all duties.
• Abide by University policies on Health and Safety and Equality and Diversity.
• Perform other duties occasionally which are not included in the above but which will be consistent with the role.
1. Degree/NVQ 4 or equivalent Professional membership/experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
2. Experience of working in a marketing and customer facing environment.
3. Substantial experience of working within administrative environment and working knowledge of using IT i.e. Microsoft Office products.
4. Ability to work efficiently, accurately, and calmly under pressure with proven organisational skills.
5. Evidence of ability to solve expansive problems using initiative and creativity; identify and propose practical and innovative solutions.
Customer Service, Communication and Team Working
6. Ability to communicate conceptually detailed and complex information effectively and professionally with a wide range of people both orally and in writing, and to deliver effective presentations.
7. Ability to develop relationships with both internal and external stakeholders combined with a customer focused approach.
8. Ability to work well within a team to achieve the Office’s objectives, but also to work independently when working overseas or away from the office.
9. Cultural awareness; demonstrable appreciation of, and sensitivity to, cultural issues.
10. Prepared to travel and work independently overseas and within the UK for work purposes, for up to 16 weeks/weekends per year, including weekend and public holidays, and extended hours during peak times, within reason. Evidence of ability to be the external face of the University overseas and to represent the University to a range of audiences.
1. Marketing degree or professional qualification in Marketing.
2. Proven experience of working in an international student recruitment environment.
3. Basic Welsh, written and oral.
4. Goal orientated and highly motivated with a flexible approach to work.
The Communications and Marketing Department is responsible for the University’s reputation and branding. It covers six areas: digital communications, communications, marketing, student recruitment, international and public affairs.
Digital Communications is responsible for the design, development and content of the external website and intranet. They provide tools, guidance, training and support to enable the University to communicate effectively across all digital channels. The team works closely with colleagues in all three academic colleges and constituent schools.
Communications plays an important part in building and maintaining the reputation of the University through effective communication to the public and to external and internal stakeholders. It communicates the achievements and aspirations of the University through a variety of media and includes a film unit. The team represents the University on a corporate level.
Marketing is responsible for developing a strong brand identity for the University at the corporate level, with an emphasis on better visual branding and market research.
Student recruitment are responsible for student recruitment in the UK, EU and internationally. They work in partnership with the University’s colleges and academic schools to recruit high calibre students. The team also manages the University’s major widening participation programmes and the School’s Partnership Project.
The International Office drives the University’s international recruitment strategy and advises on all areas related to international recruitment and development.
Public affairs lead on stakeholder relationships locally, nationally and internationally.
Admin / Clerical
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.