The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a humanitarian organization that helps people affected by conflict and disaster to rebuild their lives. NRC also believes that digital transformation can help achieve the mission. The D-Team is NRC’s internal product development team focused on building digital solutions to help the people we work with and NRC’s staff in the field. Our projects range from a learning platform for children to digital cash distribution systems. We work closely with our teams in the field to serve their needs in difficult environments.
As a backend software developer at NRC, you will be responsible for designing and building our various backend systems. The projects you will work on typically consist of an array of interesting technical challenges such as:
- Deploying software in difficult environments
- Working with extremely sensitive data on vulnerable people
- Dealing with complex data structures and processes
Primarily you will be working on CORE, our global database & case management system for the people we work with.
What you will do:
- Contribute to the technical architecture design of projects
- Design and implement scalable and maintainable backend systems and APIs using Node.js
- Write clean, testable, and efficient code
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define, design, and ship new features
- Develop highly performant APIs
- Develop systems for low-bandwidth and offline environments
- Develop robust and secure systems
- Building out standards and processes for the team and organisation
What you will bring:
- 5+ years of previous work experience in backend development
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, or a related field
- Expertise in building applications with Typescript/Node.js
- Expertise in working with relational and NoSQL databases
- Experience in system design
- Experience with containerized applications
- Experience integrating with SSO systems like Okta
- A security focussed mindset
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of Azure cloud computing services
- Experience with Golang, Python or React
Primary Location: The team is based in Berlin, Germany but candidates from any country where NRC has an office will be considered.
We know that you are curious and would like to learn more about this role; please click *here *to access the full Job Description.
For any questions, please write to [email protected] with “Job Title” as a subject.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across more than 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks.
NRC is an equal opportunities employer and aims to have staffing diversity in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, nationality and physical ability.
How to apply
Click HERE to complete your application