University of Glasgow
To provide high quality technical support for research and teaching activities in the James Watt School of Engineering working as part of the Computer Aided Design (CAD) & Graphics team. To provide technical support for the provision of Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) and 3D printing to all users, including Principal Investigators (PIs), researchers, post-graduate and undergraduate students. Contribute to the delivery of the multi-disciplinary undergraduate CAD teaching curriculum and to support staff and students with all 3D printing to optimise teaching and research output. To prepare students for industry with hands-on, project based-learning courses. Identify skills and technologies, connect with industry and learning partners to stay current on the new skills and tools in the industry. To aid in CAE deliverables for research activities within the School of Engineering, from design & manufacturing advice to full working prototype delivery.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. Support the delivery of Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) undergraduate teaching including provision of specialist advice, training to service users and management of resources.
2. Be responsible for the provision of Rapid Prototyping (RP) and laser cutting facilities including specialist advice and training to service users, management of resources and responsibility for health and safety.
3. Provide support to undergraduate practical projects including Design Build and Test programme.
4. Contribute to the development and delivery of video-based training courses for various CAE software packages and relevant technologies in multi-disciplines.
5. Explore Autodesk projects, learning content and role aligned certifications and look for ways to incorporate these skills into existing coursework, with newly created or updated content or projects.
6. Design and manufacture of parts and assemblies for research groups activities where applicable.
7. Advise and train service users in all technical aspects of the 3D printing manufacturing facilities. Where required, undertake supervision of undergraduate and/or post-graduate students to ensure learning outcomes are optimised.
8. Manage all aspects of the RP operations. Create, implement and regularly review Standard Operating Procedures for service users, ensuring compliance with legislative requirements, University policy, and best practice.
9. Be responsible for the day-to-day management of and compliance with relevant Health and Safety and/or other specialist legal requirements applicable to rapid prototyping (RP). Maintain all necessary records in accordance with set requirements, keep up to date with developments or legal changes relevant to the work and advise and train group members as appropriate. Report any potential issues to the Head of Technical Services.
10. Work collaboratively with others, including within the wider College and University and where relevant with external contacts, to enhance the delivery of the teaching and research aims and support the broader strategic aims of the University.
11. Contribute to the outreach and recruitment activities of the School.
12. Engagement with School improvement initiatives such as the Technician Commitment and, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
13. Undertake any other reasonable duties as required by the Head of School.
14. To contribute to the enhancement of the University’s international profile in line with the University’s Strategic Plan.
Knowledge/Qualifications, Skills and Experience
A1 Scottish Credit and Qualification Framework level 7 [Advanced Higher / Scottish vocational Qualification level 3, Higher National Certificate] in an engineering discipline and experience of personal development in a similar role
A2 Demonstrable knowledge in industry standard CAD software.
A3 Demonstrable knowledge of rapid prototyping processes and equipment.
A4 Good knowledge of general Health and Safety.
B1 Good knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
B2 Good presentation skills.
C1 Able to work from drawings/sketches and verbal instructions and interpret the requirements of customers who may have limited competence in the mechanical field.
C2 Able to plan and organise assigned projects/programmes of work.
C3 Good communication skills relevant to a technical engineering environment
C4 Able to work independently and as part of a team.
C5 Working knowledge of Finite Element Analysis
C6 Working knowledge of additive manufacturing equipment and 3D printing
D1 Ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities.
D2 Demonstrable presentation skills
E1 Sufficient relevant experience to be able to demonstrate relevant competencies as required for this level of specialist technical post
E2 Experience of mechanical design
E3 Experience of working independently as well as taking direction from a line manager
E4 Experience of planning and scheduling own work and managing time efficiently
E5 Experience of health and safety protocols applicable in universities and colleges of higher education
E6 Experience of developing and refining designs from limited or incomplete information
F1 Experience of rapid prototyping technologies
F2 Experience of working within a multidiscipline lab/workshop
Terms and Conditions
Salary will be Grade 5, £23,715 – £27,929 per annum.
This post is full time (35 hours per week) and open ended.
As part of Team UofG you will be a member of a world changing, inclusive community, which values ambition, excellence, integrity and curiosity.
As a valued member of our team, you can expect:
1 A warm welcoming and engaging organisational culture, where your talents are developed and nurtured, and success is celebrated and shared.
3 A flexible approach to working.
We believe that we can only reach our full potential through the talents of all. Equality, diversity and inclusion are at the heart of our values. Applications are particularly welcome from across our communities and in particular people from the Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) community, and other protected characteristics who are under-represented within the University. Read more on how the University promotes and embeds all aspects of equality and diversity within our community
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.