A truly unique opportunity has become available for a Chemistry Team Manager to join our
Laboratory team in Saltford. Ideally specialising in soils and sludges analysis, you will bring
your chemistry technical expertise into a management role, where you will play a key role in
shaping the way our expert chemistry teams work.
Wessex Water’s laboratory in Saltford analyses more than 100,000 samples a year from around the
region. We are a scientific centre accredited to ISO 17025:DWTS that utilises world class
technologies and equipment to analyse water and environmental samples to protect both public
health and the environment
As Chemistry Team Manager, your responsibilities will include:
- responsibility for the health, safety, wellbeing and security of staff and equipment
- managing and developing staff, including recruitment, technical progression and performance
- ensuring compliance with the laboratory quality management system, taking a lead on
internal and external audits and proactively looking for improvements and efficiencies.
- ensuring audit actions and any non-conforming work are followed up in a timely manner and
to the highest quality standards, implementing effective corrective actions.
- reviewing methods and processes to ensure work is carried out to the appropriate regulatory
requirements, looking for improvements and keeping up to date with changes in those
- proactive participation in the management of the Scientific Centre and working with
Technical Team Managers to deliver the Centre’s quality and business objectives.
- providing internal and external customers with advice, while also interpreting methodology
- coordinating out-of-hours and emergency response as needed.
- providing advice on new methods, equipment and techniques, and implementing them.
- keeping up to date with developments in chemical analysis, regulation, the water industry
and active participation in industry working groups.
- collaborating with internal stakeholders to deliver business critical objectives and
What do I need?
To be considered for this opportunity, you will have degree-level qualifications and relevant
experience in a chemistry-based role. As well as your expertise in inorganic chemistry, you
will possess excellent people management skills.
You should have strong interpersonal and leadership skills, demonstrate aptitude in
problem-solving and decision-making, be able to build a strong and flexible team, be responsive
to the needs of customers and be able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
You will have, or be working towards, chartered status with an appropriate professional body.
An understanding of the regulatory requirements of the water industry and experience working in
an accredited environment are advantageous.
Benefits for you
- Pension – up to 20% combined contribution
- 25 days’ holiday rising to 28 with length of service
- Opportunity to buy and sell up to ten days’ holiday
- Health benefits package
- Life assurance (up to four times your salary)
- Electric vehicle salary exchange
- Flexible working
- Cashback and discounts from over 1,200 retailers
- Paid volunteering day
- Enhanced family leave
- Interactive health and wellbeing platform
- Support from mental health first aiders
- £1,000 referral fee if you recommend someone to work for us
What will you get from us?
Our people tell us Wessex Water is a great place to work, and they stay with us! We are proud
of how we support development and career progression. We have a wealth of both financial and
non-financial benefits to offer our people and are committed to ensuring we provide an
environment that supports health and wellbeing and flexible working.
We continue to promote diversity and inclusion. With that in mind, we welcome all applicants.
We are delighted to have signed the Armed Forces covenant and are a Disability Confident
Employer. Applicants who declare they have a disability or have previously served with the
Armed Forces, and meet the minimum requirements for the job, will automatically be invited for
Please let us know if you require any additional support or adjustments to assist you in
starting your journey with Wessex Water.
If you have what it takes to join this award-winning business and want to be part of our
exciting journey and share in that success, then please get in contact with us to find out
Sound interesting? Please click APPLY to progress to the next step.
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.