King's College London
Job id: 078065. Salary: £61,896 – £71,057 per annum, including London Weighting allowance.
Posted: 03 November 2023. Closing date: 26 November 2023.
Business unit: Research Management & Innovation. Department: IP & Licensing.
Contact details:Mike Shaw. [email protected]
Location: Guy’s Campus. Category: Professional & Support Services.
King’s College London is seeking a dynamic and experienced professional to transform our approach to supporting commercialisation of data and digital driven opportunity especially in the Mental Health space.
The Commercialisation Manager will be responsible for developing and implementing strategies (including research, collaboration and IP and innovation initiatives) which focus on harnessing our intellectual property assets and research activity to accelerate paths to impact centred on data and digital outputs.
The Commercialisation Manager will ensure provision of subject area expertise in data, digital and AI driven innovation, and understanding of business models, investor appetite and regulatory requirements associated with introduction of new innovation into healthcare services.
This is a new role, working with existing IP & Licensing Managers, Translation research support Managers, Industry Partnering Managers and leading academic staff to maximise the value of current data and digital driven research, and to create new opportunities for products development and patient impact.
The ideal candidate will bring substantial experience of commercialisation of digital and data driven innovation and have the flexibility to work across disciplines and sectors ensuring all faculties are supported, though with a focus on mental health. They will combine strong strategic and project management capabilities with technology, regulator, healthcare provider and investor awareness and an ability to engage and inspire senior stakeholders in both funders, industry and academia.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract
This is a full-time post
- They will deliver marketing strategy and activities set in conjunction with the Marketing and Licensing Manager and will be accountable for delivery of marketing performance indicators to the Marketing and Licensing Manager and the Director IP & Licensing.
- The job holder will be expected to regularly communicate information in a clear and precise way to the Director IP&L, the Marketing and Licensing Manager and the IP Administration Managers and be responsible for ensuring accurate and timely input of project information into the Inteum/Minuet database.
- To produce written reports on progress against targets, as may from time to time be specified by the Director.
- Remain the main point of contact for third parties whose rights KCL is commercialising along with its own.
- To assist other colleagues in RMID in conducting IP landscape assessments and FTO searches in support of translational research funding applications relating to IP assets under management by the IP&L Manager.
- They will develop and implement operational plans for identifying, managing, developing and commercialising research results from departments designated by the Director and deliver key performance indicators agreed with the Director IP&L.
- They will deliver their own key performance indicators by managing their own workload and resources prioritising these in order to achieve their objectives.
- They shall be responsible for submitting quality information to the New IP Committee and the Commercialisation Committee.
- To work alongside existing IP & L Managers, Industry Partnership Managers and Translation support Managers to assess, in research departments designated by the Director the commercial potential of identified or disclosed IP opportunities.
- To construct proposals detailing the commercial potential or value-building pathway of IP opportunities (including both internal and external proof of concept funding, licensing and spin-out activity) and present such recommendations at the New IP Committee.
- They will have and maintain a comprehensive knowledge of all relevant systems, processes, policies, procedures, internal and external regulations, legislation and quality standards appropriate for their area of responsibility.
- Responsibility for contributing to driving an increase in new IP disclosures from their relevant research departments.
- Develop term sheets for commercial opportunities being pursued including rationales and chosen models for asset valuation. Present term sheets to the Commercialisation Committee in a format and timepoint designated by the Director.
- Negotiate and transact (observing any delegated signature authority policies that might be in force from time to time) appropriate agreements to enact the agreed term sheets and liaise with external legal counsel as required and approved by the Director.
- Undertake post deal monitoring of agreement obligations – both “in” from third parties and “out” to third parties – to ensure compliance both internally and externally and regularly review income milestones to ensure that monies owed by third parties are received on time and records updated accordingly.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
We ask all candidates to submit a copy of their CV, and a supporting statement, detailing how they meet the essential criteria listed in the advert. If we receive a strong field of candidates, we may use the desirable criteria to choose our final shortlist, so please include your evidence against these where possible.
To find out how our managers review your application, please take a look at our How we Recruit pages.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.