Project Seagrass – Saving the Worlds Seagrass
We’ve recently launched our 10 year strategy to Save the Worlds seagrass. As a charitable
organisation that has rapidly grown over the last few years we’re excited about the
opportunities that the delivery of this new strategy provides to make a real difference to the
marine environment. This is an exciting moment to join us: we’re an organisation with some
ambitious aims and our team are essential to our success.
Project Seagrass was created with the intention of reversing the loss of seagrass by turning
research into effective conservation action and communication both directly and through
partnerships with communities and other stakeholders. Our journey as an organisation has taught
us that achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and how we work together. As a
dedicated interdisciplinary team, we are passionate about securing a future for seagrass.
Experience has taught us that only by bringing together a diverse range of identities,
experiences and perspectives can we respond to global challenges.
At Project Seagrass we have a pivotal role as a leading UK and international charity aiming to
lead societal change to enable the recognition, recovery and resilience of seagrass ecosystems
globally; that provide biodiversity, equitable and sustainable livelihoods, and planetary life
support. Communicating science, evidence and practice in seagrass conservation and restoration
to support these aims is critical for delivering our mission and new strategy. We seek to
communicate evidence in a way that is robust and transparent, and that is also relevant and
accessible to national, international and local audiences, including the general public,
stakeholders, policymakers, and practitioners.
We are looking for a Communications Officer to lead strategic communications both internally
and externally. You will be an integral part of our close-knit team to pinpoint and act on
opportunities to share our messages and findings. Working proactively and creatively, you will
lead and implement communications activity across the whole communications mix including
strategic communications, events, press, publications, and digital and social media.
We are looking for a self-starter with good foundational communications skills and experience,
as well as excellent organisational skills, who is looking to take the next step in their
career supported by a hardworking and friendly team. We are looking for someone who is
passionate and driven to make a difference to the marine environment. We want people from all
backgrounds to join our team. We offer flexible working, support for work-life balance,
above-average leave entitlement, learning and development and a great office location in
Bridgend close to the stunning South Wales coastline. We also offer generous maternity and
paternity benefits. We value diversity and welcome applications from all suitably qualified
candidates regardless of age, gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or ethnic
Initial closing date: Midnight on 24th November 2023.
(the position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found)
Interviews: Week commencing 27 November 2023.
For an informal discussion, please contact [email protected] in the first instance.
35 hours / week
Rank 6 Grade D (£25’000 – £32’000)
29 days annual leave, flexible working, fantastic team environment, excellent location (10 mins
from Glamorgan Heritage coast, near to the Gower and Bannau Brycheiniog (formerly Brecon
Beacons), commutable from Cardiff or Swansea)
Purpose of the role:
To increase the impact of Project Seagrass mission through its internal and external
communications and using all marking tools available. There will be a focus on developing
appropriate content in line with the PS brand and tone of voice through outlets including, but
not limited to, newsletters, information leaflets, blogs, media and comms channels. Creating
impactful email marketing campaigns, producing both scheduled and organic content, managing
day-to-day correspondence through PS info mail account and responding to requests as in a
timely and professional manor.
Sharing our communication strategy, key messaging and tone of voice with the PS team.
As our Communications Officer, your role will be both creative and strategic, as you support,
collaborate with, and empower the team to deliver impactful communications. Communications is a
fast paced environment and you will be working with all aspects of the organisation to
communicate up-to-date information both internally and externally. You’ll work closely with the
Fundraising and Relationships Manager to optimise our output and act as a caretaker for the PS
Key duties & responsibilities:
- Write and copy-edit copy for email, press releases, website, social media and newsletters
- Work closely with project leads to ensure that relevant and newsworthy content is promoted
via all comms channels
- Support the creation and development of engaging content on all platforms with the aim of
increasing our presence and number of followers
- Proactively manage the PS social media community and respond effectively to ensure PS is
portrayed positively and to support all social media channels via content creation scheduled
for maximum impact and strategic balance Plan, create and manage effective email campaigns and
automations, optimising PS email marketing and tracking KPI’s
- Support PS media engagement by monitoring and responding to press inquiries, developing and
maintaining an up-to-date media contact list and developing internal reporting on media
- Project manage the delivery of the PS general and corporate newsletters
- Coordinate conservation communication materials including flyers, posters and digital
- Advise and support the wider PS team on the communication strategy
- Deliver reports and recommendations to the CEO
- Act as a brand guardian, sense checking output to ensure consistency in messaging and tone
- Work within the Fundraising Team to support all aspects of marketing and communications
ensuring excellent donor care
- Support the Fundraising and Relationships Manager in creating and maintaining all marketing
collateral including fundraising and ambassador packs, leaflets, reports, brochures and
- Regularly check and subscribe to relevant news platforms and websites to ensure that our
social media account is up to date with industry best practice.
- Help manage the info email account, responding to general enquiries received and
forwarding emails to the relevant team member within a 24-hour period.
- Support creation of infographics and other engaging communication assets.
- Edit and proof-read reports and proposals, ensuring they adhere to PS key messaging and
tone of voice.
- Liaise with suppliers and lead on the production and distribution of merchandise.
- Respond to ad-hoc requests and any other duties that are within the scope, spirit and
purpose of the post.
Press & Marketing Activity
- Answer media enquiries and draft responses on behalf PS
- Prepare press releases as opportunities arise and coordinate PS media and public relations
with the support of the Fundraising and Relationship Manager.
- Ensure marketing to current audience is on brand and plan, prepare and deliver on ways to
market to new audiences in line with KPIs
- Maintain and update the PS website with relevant content
- Deliver all charity communication e-newsletters to members/supporters/subscribers
- Work with external agencies to plan, brief and deliver PR for conservation projects across
- Work with the Fundraising and Relationship Manager to deliver online appeals and grow the
supporter database, generating income from both existing and new donors.
- Seasonal fieldwork activities when operationally required for delivery of the
communications officer role
General duties & responsibilities:
- Attend meetings as the role requires
- Participate and support organisational events
- Conduct the job role and all activities in accordance with safety, health and
- Promote equality and diversity in working practices and maintain positive working
- Contribute to organisational matters within PS to help it run smoothly
- Carry out other activities as appropriate on the instruction of the Senior Management Team
Skills and Experience
- Excellent team working and inter-personal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Exceptional copywriting and copyediting skills with a strong eye for detail and the ability
to write for multiple audiences
- Familiar with the tactics and strategies that sit behind impactful marketing
- Confident to work with Mailchimp and Wordpress, and proficient across all social media
- Previous experience of media engagement
- A good understanding of performance reporting, how to set benchmarks, measure against KPIs
and provide recommendations for improvement
- Prior experience within the charity sector, especially campaigning charities, is a plus but
not a necessity
- Strong understanding and use of effective internal and external communication
- Able to work under pressure, prioritise tasks and meet key deadlines
- Outstanding communication skills, internally as well as externally
- Highly creative with a keen interest in email marketing tactics and media engagement
- Well organised with a structured but flexible approach
- Be self-motivated, apply and use initiative and seek guidance when needed. with the ability
to manage multiple projects simultaneously Ability to work independently and take initiative to
- Develop professionally by keeping your skills, knowledge and networks up to date
- Take up and engage with offers of training and professional development
- Belief in the mission, vision and values of Project Seagrass
- 1-3 year’s experience in a similar role
- A desire to make a positive difference
- Proactively work with the team to achieve ambitious goals
- A willingness to learn and take on board feedback
- Full clean UK driving licence.
- Positive approach to personal and professional development
- Positive approach to team working
Applications are invited based on a 2-page CV and 2 page covering letter by email to [email protected]. Please include in the email
details of 2 referees from recent employment.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.