Somerset Drainage Boards Consortium
This role is about the Flood Risk Management of the Somerset Levels, keeping people and
developments safe from flooding and protecting the area for the future.
If you are interested in planning and want to learn more about how we manage the Somerset
levels and moors, we want to hear from you. The IDB is looking for a Consent/Enforcement
Officer to join our Development Control Team to assist in ensuring development proposals and
work on or near watercourses are compliant with our byelaws.
The Somerset Drainage Boards Consortium is the organisation that manages the operations and
affairs of three Internal Drainage Boards (IDBs) in Somerset. The main activities of the Boards
are to manage water levels and Flood Risk for the protection of people, property and the
With the support of our Engineers, the Development Control Team works with Developers to
mitigate the impact that development has on flood risk areas and monitors work in or near
watercourses. We work closely with local authorities across the Boards area.
The focus of this role is to ensure that our Boards can continue to effectively manage flood
risk following development across the Boards areas. We are looking for someone who can work
well in a team and has strong interpersonal skills for engaging with customers.
If successful you will manage the Land Drainage Consent (LDC) applications and enforcement for
all Boards within the Somerset Drainage Boards Consortium (SDBC).
Working alongside an experienced team you will:
- Review and issue consents for working on or adjacent to watercourses,
- Carry out compliance checks of consented work,
- Communicate and negotiate with developers and customers to resolve potential breaches,
- Ensure that any proposals for works adjacent to, or in, any ordinary watercourse within the
Boards’ Districts, do not impact on the efficient working of the drainage system and do not
compromise the environment.
This is a fantastic opportunity to gain further knowledge and experience on water management
and development within flood risk areas.
This post is Full Time based from our office in Highbridge, with site visits across the Boards
areas forming part of the role.
Experience and skills
- BTEC Level 3 in Construction & the Built Environment, Civil Engineering or equivalent
A-levels in a Civil Engineering related subject, or be able to demonstrate similar levels of
competence through relevant experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of planning and consenting legislation, codes of practice,
construction and H&S Legislation, national and local guidance and best practice.
- Experience and knowledge of flood risk management, water level management or land drainage
- Knowledge of Sustainable Urban Drainage Techniques.
- Experience with sustainable and environmentally sound construction techniques.
- Some experience of the hydrology of small catchments and the hydraulic design of systems
- Good negotiation, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Sound knowledge of IT including Microsoft Word, Excel & Powerpoint.
- A Valid Driving Licence.
- Experience or demonstrable knowledge in Health & Safety legislation and procedures.
In return we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- A competitive salary dependant on experience.
- A Local Government pension scheme.
- Generous Annual Leave.
For more information or to discuss the post further please send you CV and Covering Letter to
[email protected] or contact us on 01278 789906.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.