King's College London
Job id: 067465. Salary: £58,949 – £67,673 per annum inc London Weighting Allowance per annum.
Posted: 17 May 2023. Closing date: 28 May 2023.
Business unit: Estates & Facilities. Department: Security – Central.
Contact details:Fiona Elliot. [email protected]
Location: Strand Campus. Category: Professional & Support Services.
THIS VACANCY IS OPEN TO INTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY
The Deputy Head of Security will support the Head of Security by leading the operational 24/07 running of the in-house security team across multiple sites and will be responsible for the day-to-day operational effectiveness of the security team at King’s College London. They will also deputise for the Head of Security.
The Deputy Head of Security will ensure the effectiveness of the operation whilst working closely with the Head of Security to drive continuous change into the service resulting in the utilisation of best practise in security standards. The Deputy Head of Security will provide highly visible and authentic leadership to a large and multi-site team across all buildings and will ensure that the team delivers world class customer service for a world-class institution with a focus on enhancing the student experience whilst still ensuring a safe environment and value for money.
Working closely with the Head of Security, this role will be key to ensuring that the service fulfils the Estates and Facilities strategic aim which is ‘to deliver trusted, responsive and reliable services enabling our communities to achieve their aspirations making the world a better place.’
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract.
This is a full-time post – 100% full time equivalent**.**
- Ensure the team always feel part of the ‘King’s Family’ and be key in building a ‘one team’ approach with cleaning colleagues at all levels.
- Ensure a fit for purpose and efficient team with effective line management throughout the team utilising King’s policies to support managers regarding all aspects of performance and address both operational and HR issues promptly as they arise.
- Ensure that all security staff are appropriately qualified and trained in all mandatory security and customer service initiatives in particular to ensure that all managed staff, including third party service providers, have completed induction training, annual ACT awareness training, the Fit For King’s customer service programme and have adopted Fit For King’s behaviours.
- Act as a role model for professional behaviour and best practice while creating an environment that motivates staff, ensuring that they are fully aware of what is expected of them and what success looks like, sharing good practice within the department.
- Ensure the delivery of world-class customer centric services which offer value for money and continuously enhance the student experience
- Ensure that the teams across all campuses, both day and night deliver a consistent service delivery approach working closely with Campus Operations colleagues to understand customer and stakeholder requirements
- Propose innovative ways to the Head of Security to develop and improve the service delivery for all customers including but not limited to rostering, access control, CCTV, intruder detection systems and key control.
- Review incidents that have taken place across the campuses, assess the risks and initiate, lead or set the investigation parameters for the security management team, liaising with internal and external parties where appropriate including student Conduct and Appeals, KCLSU and the Metropolitan Police
- Perform the role of Lead Safeguarding Officer for Visitors to all campuses and being part of the Safeguarding Oversight Committee.
- Being the single point of contact within security for all welfare, mental health or other student of concern issues, including missing students, working closely with KCL wellbeing teams.
- Make recommendations to drive improvements in the effective administration of card management systems including supporting key student support functions.
- Lead the security interface with SafeZone to ensure that the operational security teams can use the tool effectively and delivery the necessary response.
- To support the Head of Security in building trust and confidence in the service through a commitment to building a team that is diverse and has a culture that understands the needs and expectations of the University community.
- Conduct weekly reviews from open source and other intelligence feeds of threats to the university including those of protest, animal rights activists and other crime issues – cascading this information to all internal partners.
- Ensure all work undertaken by the security services team is done in full compliance with the AI’s and all relevant health and safety legislation.
- Ensure a safe working environment for the Security team despite the inherent risks of the service provision. Make recommendations to the Head of Security to continually improve working practises utilising new technology where appropriate.
- Review Assignment Instructions and departmental risk assessments regularly to ensure relevant and fit for purpose.
- Support the Head of Security and the Security Managers in the security planning, risk mitigation and security delivery for all college events including both staff and student organised external speaker events ensuring the correct balance between freedom of expression and community safety.
- Develop strong internal and external networks comprising; service users, stakeholders, local police, Healthcare partners, other multi-agency partners and security industry professionals. Such networks will be used to identify solutions to service issues and requirements, recognise existing and emerging risks/threats and exchange best practice to develop and promote a positive security culture at all levels within the College.
- Represent the department and providing evidence based, technical advice at a range of internal and external meetings including but not limited to the Security Operations Group, BID meetings, Safeguarding Oversight Group, Business Continuity Network meetings; Critical Incident Teams.
- Provide support and direction to academic departments wherever security should be considered, and especially in the identification and procurement of security related equipment.
- Support Vision 2029 through delivery of the Estates and Facilities Philosophy through the provision of:
- A sustainable service that has the lowest environmental impact possible;
- Continually reviewing all aspects of service delivery to ensure that all decision making is made with the customers (both student, staff and visitors) at the heart of that decision.
- Support the Head of Security to ensure that the service delivery is achieved in the most financially efficient way possible and work with the Security Managers to minimise the financial impact of adhoc projects/risk mitigations.
- Responsible for the day-to-day management of our third party security partner and work with colleagues within E&F to ensure effective contractor management procedures are followed.
- Deliver value for money and sustainable cost savings through the efficient use of resources by working with Security managers / deputies
- Ensure all cross charging and interdepartmental billing is managed in an efficient and timely manner.
- Hold performance meetings with security managers to deliver on agreed security metrics including sickness management, resource management, training requirements and other security metrics as set by the Head of Security
- Maintain an awareness of security operations in comparable organisations in order to benchmark the College’s security performance through attendance at AUCSO London meetings and similar organisations.
- Other duties as directed by the Head of Security, or the Associate Director of Facilities (Security and Cleaning) as required.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.