United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
Post Number : IIEP/PA/142
Grade : P-4
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Paris
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 09-DEC- 2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
0ne (1) year renewable with a six (6) months probationary period. Extension of contract is subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
As the only specialized semi-autonomous organization with the mandate to support educational policy, planning and management, the UNESCO International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP) plays a unique role within the United Nations system. IIEP was established in 1963 as an integral part of UNESCO. It supports ministries of education around the world and other key actors to plan and manage education systems through its programmes of training, technical assistance, policy research and knowledge sharing. The Institute launched its new Medium-Term Strategy (2022-2024) in December 2021. It draws on core and project funding to achieve its goals and objectives.
Under the overall authority of the Director, the Executive Officer will be providing support in the design and elaboration of the 12th Medium-Term Strategy and the preparations of a variety of institutional Reports and papers and chapters. She or he will assist the Director in identifying, developing, and implementing priority research themes. The Executive Officer will coordinate the IIEP Report’s contribution to the international education monitoring (e.g., SDG 4 benchmarking, GPE monitoring, Education Finance Watch) and provide support to the Director to the Program Monitoring Office. More specifically, the incumbent will support IIEP activities related to contributes to fund raising for the research as well as participates in and contributes to cross IIEP Teams’ work.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In particular, the incumbent will:
- Assists IIEP-UNESCO Director in identifying, developing and implementing priority research themes.
- Provide support in the design and elaboration of the 12th Medium-Term Strategy.
- Ensures timely preparation of various institutional Reports and papers as well as to draft chapters as required.
- Coordinate the IIEP Report’s contribution to the international education monitoring (e.g., SDG 4 benchmarking, GPE monitoring, Education Finance Watch, etc).
- Stay in touch with relevant developments in research on education.
- In collaboration with the Programme specialists, contributes to the design, implementation, management and dissemination of the research and TC programmes.
- Give support to the Program Monitoring Office.
- Ensure commitment to innovating IIEP’s existing approaches, tools and capacity development activities.
- Produce complex reports, papers and prepare high-level presentations and other resources/materials for the Director.
- Participates in and contributes to cross IIEP Teams’ work and performs other assigned duties as required.
- Contributes to fund raising for the research in coordination with partnership officer.
- Manages desk review research, writes synthesis reports on research.
- Additional activities that may be required by the Director of IIEP-UNESCO to ensure the success of the work deliveries for the team.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in education, public administration, economics, politics, development studies or other relevant social science discipline.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible professional work experience in educational research, educational policies, comparative or international education or any other development issues.
- Publications in the field of educational policies.
Skills & Competencies
- Broad understanding of a wide range of public policy issues in education in different countries/regions.
- Ability to write for specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Ability to prepare and deliver high level presentations and reporting.
- Ability to apply rules, regulations, policies and guidelines in work situations and prepare reports with respect to key decisions.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Ability to work innovatively to tight deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Excellent IT skills, including knowledge of MS software (Word, Excel etc.).
- Excellent quantitative and qualitative skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent knowledge (spoken and written) of French or English and a very good knowledge of the other language.
- Ph.D. in the field of education, public administration, economics, politics, development studies or other relevant social science discipline, or in applied statistics/data science.
- Knowledge of another UNESCO Official language (Arabic, Chinese, Russian and Spanish).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate annual starting salary for this post is 116 839 US $.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this internship posting.