Farming and Wildlife Advisory Group South West
FWAG SW specialises in delivering environmental improvements in the farmed landscape. We
concentrate on delivering real change on farmland by working with land managers and landowners
across the region. Combining an understanding of farming systems, land management and farm
businesses with habitat creation, habitat management and species conservation, FWAG SW can
effect positive environmental change in the wider landscape. We also focus on helping farm
businesses to manage their natural capital assets like soil, water, and carbon. FWAG SW
specialises in making government policy, environmental incentives and regulations and emerging
environmental markets accessible and meaningful for farmers and land managers at a practical
We are seeking applicants for the post of Farm Environment Adviser, based from
our Wells Office in east Somerset. We are also interested in those with the potential to become an Adviser, working at Assistant or Trainee level, and therefore welcome enquiries and applications from those who don’t possess all of the skills detailed in our Person Specification. The successful candidate will work with the FWAG SW team to
deliver a range of projects, working to improve water quality and deliver natural flood
management measures (NFM). These schemes are part of FWAG SW’s successful Hills to
Levels delivery of projects, working with natural processes to help reduce local and
catchment scale flooding and reduce diffuse pollution.
The team delivers advice on soil management, water quality issues, management of run-off,
sustainable land management and NFM, as well as farm advice on agri-environment schemes and
FWAG SW are seeking someone with a passion for farming and the environment. There is a growing
demand for services to provide advice to farmers on agroecological practices, whether this is
to reduce agricultural diffuse pollution, adopting a regenerative farming system or delivery of
the public goods policy agenda. We are looking for applicants who also have their own
specialisms or have an interest in developing a specialism, to strengthen our team.
We welcome applications from a wide range of backgrounds and experience within the sector,
whether that is environment, soils, nutrients, farm infrastructure or farm management. We are
an open and inclusive organisation seeking to improve the diversity of our workforce.
Main purposes of the role
- To deliver independent, objective, and professional environmental advice to farmers,
landowners and land managers
- To help to deliver the Land Management workstream of the Somerset 20 Year Flood Action Plan
using the Hills to Levels approach.
- Work with landowners, FWAG staff, the EA and other stakeholders to identify sites for
natural flood management capital works and sites where natural processes can be enhanced to
- To deliver farm advice to reduce diffuse agricultural pollution supported by local and
national funding, where appropriate.
- Promote management of the environment for the provision of public goods and assist
landowners with applications for Environmental Land Management Schemes.
- Build relationships with the farming community and other local stakeholders to enhance
delivery of FWAG SW’s objectives.
- Promote FWAG SW membership to farmer clients and others.
Working alongside Farm Environment Advisers and other colleagues to:
- Carry out farm visits and identify farm environment issues and management measures that
could be implemented to reduce run-off and diffuse pollution.
- Identify appropriate sites, engage and agree with the landholder suitable NFM schemes to
reduce flood risk within Somerset, prepare proposals and take these through to delivery.
- Prepare funding proposals for submission to the Somerset Rivers Authority for individual
- When needed, commission sub-contracted specialists to draw up specifications for NFM
capital works and put out to tender, seeking cost effective delivery.
- Work with the landowners and contractors to manage delivery of these capital works.
- Develop your own technical specialisms in agricultural and environmental practices to
support delivery of advice to clients and support colleagues as part of a multi-disciplinary
- Assist colleagues and undertake such other duties that FWAG SW require and attend
appropriate training courses and seminars approved or organised by FWAG SW.
- Complete appropriate reports, paperwork and general administration associated with the
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.