Islamic Relief Worldwide is an independent humanitarian and development organisation, serving humanity for over 39 years. With an active presence in over 40 countries across the globe, we strive to make the world a better and fairer place for those affected by poverty, conflict and natural disasters.
IRW’s Finance Division is recruiting for the position of ‘Finance Officer’ to join its dynamic team based out of its offices in Birmingham, UK. The role is being offered on a fixed-term contract for 24 months and the organisation is currently operating to a hybrid working model.
The role holder will support the Corporate Reporting Team in providing a first-class service to the group divisions and entities. A key aspect of the role being developing the way the department produces analysis and uses financial information to support decision making and achievement of the company’s strategic objective.
• To ensure a timely and accurate processing of payments to suppliers
• To ensure a timely and accurate recording of income
• To perform bank reconciliation
• Production of Reports for budget holders
• Support the year end audit
• Provide Management with ad-hoc reporting analysis as required
• Supporting IRW staff and volunteers where necessary
The successful candidate must have or be:
- BTEC in Accounting/Finance or equivalent (i.e. AAT).
- High attention to detail and orderly approach to processing in a high volume, fast-paced environment.
- A strong customer service focus, and the ability to build effective working relationships
- with employees and external stakeholders/suppliers and customers.
- QuickBooks and Unit 4 experience is essential.
- The ability to understand financial information and manipulate complex data.
- The ability to assist with the preparation of accounts and accounting records from incomplete records.
- Ability to prepare, analyse and verify routine financial documents, statements and reports.
- Good understanding of access controls and compliance with segregation of duties.
- Proven understanding of accounting principles and concepts (e. g accounting for payables and receivables).
- Proficient on Microsoft excel and word.
For more information, please click on the Documents tab above to view the full Job Description.
If you are talented, reliable, service-minded, resilient and a highly motivated professional looking for a meaningful career, with a strong commitment to IRW’s mission and values of sincerity, excellence, compassion, social justice and custodianship, please apply by completing our online application form.
For more information on the excellent company benefits we offer our employees, please visit:
PLEASE NOTE: Interviews are expected to take place towards the end of November 2023.
Any employment with Islamic Relief will be subject to the following checks:
- screening clearance
- proof of eligibility to live and work within the UK
- receipt of satisfactory references
Please note, for UK-based roles, we are only able to accept applications from candidates who are eligible to work in the UK. We are unable to progress applications which would require sponsorship.
Our values and commitment to safeguarding
IRW is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom IRW engages. IRW expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organisation.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records checks. IRW also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme.
In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment.
By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Islamic Relief is an equal opportunities employer