Birmingham City University
View All Vacancies
Location: University House
£56,127 to £61,007
Post Type: Full Time
Release Date: 17 May 2023
23.59 hours BST on Wednesday 07 June 2023
Our new Head of Communications will play a leading role in how we tell our distinctive story to a range of audiences, developing the reputation of Birmingham City University as a place to study and an institution making a significant impact on the city, region and beyond.
Overseeing the fast-paced work of our communications team, you will direct our ambitious External Relations activities and lead our innovative Internal Communications team, which oversees both staff and student communications. You will also drive forward the rapidly emerging work of our Alumni Relations team, forging links with our graduates to feed back into recruiting new students and enhancing the experience of our current students.
Reporting to the Deputy Director of Marketing and Communications, you will work closely with our Vice-Chancellor’s Office, promoting the University’s existing Strategy and the institution’s influence, externally and internally. You will also play a crucial role in how we support our Chancellor, Sir Lenny Henry, in his work with the University.
You will maintain our focus on public affairs and corporate social responsibility, promoting links with key political, business and higher education figures, and ensuring BCU is at the heart of major developments across the region, including taking advantage of opportunities including our forthcoming lease of space at the Commonwealth Games’ Alexander Stadium.
Main duties and responsibilities:
1. Lead the development and implementation of effective external communications strategies, including innovative and proactive media relations activity.
2. Maintain and develop highly effective internal relations, ensuring our staff and student community is well informed and engaged in the direction and activities of the University.
3. Work closely with the Vice-Chancellors Office to profile senior leaders of the University internally and externally, and promote their strategic objectives.
4. Build BCU’s reputation and deliver effective responses to reputational risk and crisis management.
5. Deliver a proactive public affairs strategy, featuring lobbying, stakeholder development and an approach to corporate social responsibility that builds reputation.
Requirements for the role:
- Honours degree or equivalent and a full professional qualification and/or equivalent experience relevant to the role.
- Significant experience as a senior communications professional.
- Experience of managing teams and driving performance, with the ability to motivate and provide professional leadership.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills with the ability to deliver high-quality content to a wide variety of audiences and across multiple channels.
You also should be able to demonstrate:
- A strategic approach with the ability to develop PR, public affairs and communications strategies, and a track record of delivering operational plans.
- Strong knowledge of how best to use digital channels for effective communications.
- Good news judgement and an ability to identify key messages and story angles.
Birmingham City University is one of the UK’s major universities. With over 31,000 students from 100 different countries, Birmingham City University is a large and diverse place to study. We put students at the heart of everything we do, giving them the best opportunities for future success.
The University is in an exciting phase of its development. We’ve invested £340 million in our estate, including a major expansion of our city centre campus at Eastside, providing students with an enviable range of facilities.
The University has an enviable reputation for providing quality, student-focused education in a professional and friendly environment, thanks to our superb courses, state-of-the-art facilities, focus on practical skills and professional relevance, and of course, our trailblazing staff.
At Birmingham City University we are proud to be an equal opportunities employer. All staff are expected to understand and enact the University’s commitment to ensuring equality, diversity and inclusion in our employment practice and in all that we do . This commitment is enshrined in our Core Values and is detailed in our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in Employment Policy. The University values and celebrates the diversity of our staff and students; we welcome people from the many different backgrounds and life experiences that reflect the students and the citizens we serve. We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and actively encourage unique contributions, in particular from under-represented groups in respect of age, disability, sex, gender or gender identity, ethnicity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or transgender status
Birmingham City University (‘BCU’) is committed to protecting your personal data and being transparent about what we do with your personal data. One of the ways we do this is through our privacy notices. For further information please click here .
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.