Head of Global Logistics and Supply Chain
Permanent, Full Time (40 hours per week)
Location: Thornhill, Dumfries and Galloway, DG3 5BF
Salary: up to £65,696 depending upon experience
The HALO Trust is the world’s largest and oldest international humanitarian mine action non-government organisation (NGO). For over thirty years, we have been saving lives and helping war-torn communities recover, by making their land safe. Our mission is to protect lives and restore the livelihoods of those affected by conflict.
HALO is known for its work to clear landmines, but we also lead on dealing with unexploded ordnance, from bullets to aircraft bombs, and we educate communities to keep them safe. We also build safe arms stores and systems for securing guns. HALO was established in Afghanistan in 1988 and now employs over 12,000 staff in 28 countries and territories.
About the role:
The Head of Global Logistics and Supply Chain is responsible for the management of logistics and supply chain functions in the UK and for the procurement, licensing and shipping of supplies, equipment, and assets to HALO’s overseas programmes. The Head of Logistics is also responsible for the maintenance of guidelines and procedures for the management of inventory and assets on programmes. Occasional travel to HALO programmes will be required.
- Manage HALO’s international supply chain, including the identification of global best-value suppliers to meet programme demands.
- Coordinate the work of HQ Logistics Officers to ensure timely, cost effective and efficient procurement of supplies, equipment, and assets for HALO programmes in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- Provide guidance to programmes on the associated costs of procurement, including anticipated lead times, quality, suitability, and availability of supplies.
- Ensure all procurement activity is compliant with HALO policies and procedures, donor requirements and any applicable sanctions regimes.
- Ensure effective systems are in place to ensure compliance with all applicable export license regimes.
- Maintain and update logistics and other related procedures and guidelines and coordinate staff training with the Training Department.
- Oversee the safe, effective, and efficient management of HALO’s supply warehouse including the packing of airfreight consignments and loading of containers.
- Ensure adequate information management systems are in place for HQ and programme teams to support the procurement and shipping process.
- Manage appropriate stock on hand to ensure supplies can be shipped in good time to HALO programmes where appropriate.
- Carry out logistics support visits to HALO programmes, providing training to local staff in the implementation of logistics policies and procedures.
- Support programmes in the management of assets, including the disposal of unusable goods/supplies/assets.
- Produce on-site internal audit reports, reporting on the effectiveness and efficiency of logistics controls.
- Support the process of transferring equipment and vehicles between programmes.
- Lead and develop the team of HQ-based Logistics Officers.
Who we’re looking for:
- Significant experience in a senior international logistics / supply chain management role
- Proven experience working in an ERP system, including supply chain, finance and information systems.
- Relevant university or professional qualification related to supply chain and logistics management, such as
- CIPS Level 6 Professional Diploma in Procurement and Supply
- CILT Level 6 Advanced Diploma in Logistics and Transport
- Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to lead and develop a small team.
- Collaborative working and communication style
- Strong numeracy skills and data analysis skills
- A self-starter, able to organise and manage their own time and lead a team to deliver quality work
- A practical and adaptable person, prepared to work in a challenging and fluid operating environment.
- Experience working for an international charity, NGO or international organisation
- Familiarity with export licensing regimes for dual-purpose goods.
Benefits of working at HALO:
At The HALO Trust, we strive to live by our values, where every staff member is valued. We offer an inclusive working environment where staff treat one another with dignity and respect.
The HALO Trust offers a friendly, welcoming, and supportive place to work and as part of the HALO team, you can enjoy a variety of benefits which include:
- Competitive salary – up to £65,696 depending upon experience
- Contributory pension, HALO will match up to 5% of contributions
- 25 days annual leave and 10 Public Holidays
- Paid professional development
- Non- contributory Life assurance
- Occupational Health Services
- Flexible Working
- Cycle to work scheme
- Opportunity to occasionally travel overseas
Please submit a CV (no more than 2 pages) and a cover letter (no more than 1 page) outlining how your experience matches the key skills and competencies required by 13th September 2023. We reserve the right to amend the closing date depending on the number of applications received.
The HALO Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any applicant for employment because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation. The HALO Trust is committed to a culture that is both diverse and inclusive and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people form a diverse candidate pool.
How to apply
To apply, please visit: https://apply.workable.com/j/89F557E94F/?utm_medium=social_share_link