Working at Oxfam
Employment Term: Fixed Term (1 year contract with possible extension)
Level: National, C1
Location: Yangon, Myanmar
Closing Date: 15 November 2023
Early application is encouraged as the recruitment process will be done on a rolling basis and Oxfam reserves the right to appoint a suitable candidate as soon as they are identified.
Oxfam is looking for Head of Programme Quality and Impact.
To strengthen Oxfam’s programme quality and impact in Myanmar by working closely with country leadership team, programme teams, business development and operation teams, providing strategic leadership, coordination, management and support on Programme quality and impact. This role works across the spectrum of long-term development, humanitarian and influencing interventions across the entire Oxfam country programme.
As a member of the Myanmar Leadership Team (MLT), the Head of Programme Quality and Impact will lead on strategic priority of Programme Quality and Impact team and advise the Country Director and Head of Programmes for overall business development. Work closely with Head of Advocacy and Communications and contribute to effective and high-quality influencing strategies. Work closely with operation and funding teams to ensure systems and process enable effective program quality and impact.
Primarily responsible to oversee for partnership, program design and innovation, monitoring, evaluation, learning, accountability, and knowledge, provide direct support on partnership and coordinate the provision of relevant and quality technical support across the country programme. Ensure that cross-cutting themes of gender mainstreaming, safe programming and conflict sensitivity are embedded into all programmes and projects and that there is coherence and coordination between the projects.
LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT:
- Contribute to strategic leadership of Oxfam in Myanmar as part of the Myanmar Leadership Team (MLT), including supporting the Country Director on strategic thinking and decision making.
- Manage and support the members of the PQ&I unit enabling effective, relevant, timely and quality support across programs to achieve Oxfam program quality standards.
- Working with its team, provide strategic oversight of quality of programs related to Partnership, MEAL and knowledge, research, programme development & innovation and of cross-cutting topics in particular conflict dynamics, safe programming and gender mainstreaming.
- Provide strategic analysis related to the quality of programs and support the Myanmar Leadership Team in identifying and implementing relevant measures for managing risk related to quality.
- Support the Country Director on positioning Oxfam’s work, externally and internally, including risk and opportunity management, providing timely trusted advice to the CD.
- When applicable, contribute to the quality of emergency responses within the overall emergency response plan.
- Ensure that management of PQ&I team, and external supplier strictly adhere to and follow Oxfam relevant policies including related to security, diversity, fraud and abuse.
- Deputise for the Country Director when required.
- Actively engage with, influence and contribute to Oxfam initiatives and learning related to program quality and impact, in particular across Asia.
- Lead the development, implementation, review and learning of Oxfam in Myanmar partnership strategy in line with Oxfam in Asia and Oxfam global ambition ensuring transformative partnership is deeply embedded in all projects, programs and coherent at the Oxfam Country Strategy level.
- Provide strategic direction for Oxfam’s roles and relationships with relevant local stakeholders in Myanmar including a particular focus on women’s rights and feminist organizations and diversification of partnership approaches as relevant to the context and programs’ purpose.
- Provide strategic steer and technical support to programs, advocacy PQ&I, business development and business support teams to strengthen Oxfam partnership practices across the partnership cycle including new partnership development, partnership dialogues, partnership assessment, and maintenance of healthy relationship with partners in Myanmar.
- Ensure that cross-cutting topics are embedded in partnership practices including safe programming and gender mainstreaming.
- Lead and support the development of system and administration related to partnership processes; partnership brokering capacities of Oxfam staff and provide or mobilise coaching support to some projects which require specific attention.
- Linking and convening, ensuring that relevant technical expertise and capacity development to partners are jointly identified, provided, and monitored, including access to information.
- Identify and mobilise potential external resources to support Oxfam and partners partnership practices.
- Actively contribute to Oxfam in Asia and Oxfam globally strategic direction and learning on partnership sharing Oxfam in Myanmar learning and maximising existing knowledge and learning
PROGRAM QUALITY AND IMPACT:
- Together with Oxfam Myanmar’s leadership team, contribute to the development and periodic review and learning of Oxfam’s strategic direction and annual plans in accordance with context changes in Myanmar, building on Oxfam Global strategy and Asia regional strategy.
- Working closely with program and advocacy and communication teams, provide strategic steer for the identification of new programme, influencing and business development opportunities and potential for cross programme work to increase Oxfam programme impact, quality, risk management, added value and competitiveness for future work.
- Provide strategic guidance to programme development and innovation coordinator and relevant PQ&I team members to facilitate the development of high-quality programs and funding proposals.
- Provide strategic leadership and guidance to support Oxfam in Myanmar transition into a knowledge-based organisation including high quality and relevant MEAL practices and documentation and use of knowledge emerging from periodic review and learning to improve quality, inform influencing work and contribute to Oxfam knowledge.
- Through close collaboration with Heads of Programmes and Advocacy and Communications, ensure that all program and influencing work embed Oxfam approaches as defined in the country strategy including gender mainstreaming, safe programming, conflict sensitivity and Oxfam one program approach.
- Lead on ensuring Oxfam is developing networks and relationships with the most relevant NGOs and other potential partners, to pre-position potential consortia and partnership arrangements in preparation for large scale funding opportunities.
- Oversee internal planning, monitoring, and reporting processes and work with its team to ensure they are completed on time with required quality.
- Actively contribute to and build from Oxfam learning and practices on program quality ion Asia and globally
EXTERNAL REPRESENTATION AND LINKAGES:
- Significant external representation in business development for Oxfam and maintain relationships with donors.
- Represent Oxfam in external meetings with key stakeholders
- Maintain strong partnerships and relationships with strategic allies, including pre-positioning for future funding and partnership opportunities
- Identify and connect with Program quality related practices and stakeholders in and outside of Myanmar, drawing and from and contributing to learning and improvement on issues related to program quality
What we are looking for:
Skill and Competencies:
- Strong and proven experience in Partnership. Programme Development and Design, Quality, and knowledge management
- Strategic vision and ability to provide thought leadership across a complex and varied programme
- Ability to develop highly complex programmes and projects on a wider range of development subjects
- Ability to manage fast pace, high workload in a constantly shifting context
- Ability to create space and collaboration for strategic programming in high pressure environment
- Strong skills in turning ideas into fundable proposals, that also translate into projects with impact.
- Significant knowledge on theory of change, how change happens and non-traditional project management approaches such as adaptive programming and management
- Highly developed analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience of working in highly complex political environments and with adaptive management. Direct experience of Myanmar is desirable.
- Sensitive and open to both humanitarian and longer-term development approaches and strong knowledge on nexus approach to programming.
- Experience of tendering, developing and implementing large scale funding initiatives.
- Behavioural role model for peers and fellow team members.
- Demonstrable people and budget management skills.
- Experience of managing a range of different partnerships
- Must demonstrate understanding, commitment and sensitivity to gender issues.
- Experience of working in insecure environments and of implementing security policies.
Oxfam aims to recruit and retain diverse, passionate people who have the necessary skills, knowledge and commitment to meet our vision. We offer a competitive salary and a range of additional benefits to staff including flexible working options, generous pension scheme, annual leave, additional leave allowances, company sick pay, life assurance and a range of other benefits.
Find out more about our pay & benefits, please click here
We believe flexible working is key to building the Oxfam of the future, so we’re open to talking through the type of flexible arrangements which might work for you.
How to apply:
As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and Cover Letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
Apply For This Role
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.