University of Derby
Legal, Governance and Assurance Services
Kedleston Road, Derby Campus
£26,363 to £28,827 per annum (For exceptional performers, there is scope for further progression up to £32,838 per annum).
Tuesday 21 November 2023
About the role
Legal, Governance, and Assurance Services is seeking to recruit an experienced Information Governance Officer. This is an established role covering both Freedom of Information and Data Protection work.
You will be responsible for ensuring the University’s compliance with the Freedom of Information Act and Environmental Information Regulations. With detailed knowledge of the UK GDPR, they will compliantly manage data subject rights requests, in particular, requests made by students, employees, and other stakeholders for copies of their personal data. You will also guide and advise colleagues in areas such as privacy notices, data protection information assessments, and data sharing agreements.
The role will be fast-paced and involve regular liaison with colleagues in all areas of the University. The ability to write clear, accurate, and customer-focused communications is an essential part of the role. As well as having in-depth knowledge of the relevant legislation and experience in dealing with personal and confidential data, you will demonstrate excellent organisational skills, the ability to negotiate and influence, and exceptional attention to detail.
For further information and informal enquiries regarding the role, please contact Helen Dobbins, Assurance Manager via [email protected] .
For enquiries regarding your application and for sponsorship eligibility, please contact the recruitment team via [email protected]
The post-holder may be required to undertake other duties commensurate with the level and skills/qualifications of this role.
- HND qualification or equivalent professional experience
- Proven experience of working in a busy office/administration environment within the Information Governance field; or in a similar role
- Experience of managing own time/ planning, scheduling and prioritising work to resolve problems and queries
- Experience of producing operational/high-level written communication and complex reports that are well structured, grammatically sound and accurate.
- Experience of working effectively and developing a range of organisational procedures
Skills, knowledge & abilities
- Ability to manage information from multiple areas and the ability to work with diverse partners (both internal and external) in order to coordinate activities
- An appropriate level of digital capability e.g., can use high level functions on email/databases/word processors/spreadsheets
- Ability to maintain regular, open dialogue that engages and connects individuals and teams with organisational priorities using a variety of mode
- Acting as a trusted advisor to leaders and professionals on matters of Information Governance.
- Ability to operate independently and set high standards for self and others i.e. attention to detail and a methodical work approach, as well as the flexibility to prioritise conflicting demands and unforeseen problems, in pressurised and challenging times.
- Ability to write clear, accurate, and customer-focused communications
- FOI related qualifications
- Experience within the sector/understands the demands of a HE administration service.
Skills, knowledge and abilities
- Ability to proactively initiate change to streamline inefficient processes and make them more efficient.
As well as competitive pay scales, we offer generous holiday entitlement. We also offer opportunities for further salary progression based on performance, and the opportunity to join a contributory pension scheme.
Find out more about pay and benefitsFind out more about pay and benefits
How to apply
You can apply by submitting an online application. Once you have signed in or registered with us you will be able to begin your application. If you are creating an account for the first time, please ensure you provide an email address that you access regularly as this will be our main means of contacting you regarding your application.
- Apply online Apply online
- Continue application Continue application
- Advice on completing your applicationAdvice on completing your application
If you require any assistance, including the provision of any documentation in an alternative format, please contact the Recruitment team at [email protected] .
Please note all applications must be submitted online by Midnight GMT on the closing date of the vacancy.
Please note that unfortunately, this role will not attract sufficient points to obtain a sponsored Skilled Worker visa under the UK Visas & Immigration points based immigration system; however, applications are welcome from candidates who do not currently have the right to work in the UK, but who would be eligible to obtain a valid visa via another route..
Please consult the Home office website for further information.
Equity, diversity and inclusion
The University of Derby is committed to promoting equity, diversity and inclusion. However you identify, we actively celebrate the knowledge, experience and talents each person brings. Our students come from a wide range of backgrounds; therefore we are particularly interested to hear from applicants who will help our leaders and teams be more reflective of our student population.
A university that celebrates youA university that celebrates you
Download Information Governance Officer job descriptionDownload Information Governance Officer job description
Why join Derby?
Challenging, interesting and constantly changing, the University of Derby is an extraordinary place to learn and an incredibly rewarding place to work.
Find out more about working at the UniversityFind out more about working at the University
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expect everyone who works for us to also share this commitment and to treat people with courtesy and respect.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.