European Space Agency (ESA)
Internship Opportunity in the Director General’s Services.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. We therefore welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics. Applications from women are encouraged.
Our team and mission
This position can be based:
- At the ESA HQ – Paris, France
- At the European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC) – Noordwijk, Netherlands
The Foresight, Strategy and Coordination Department team is leading coordination, strategic and foresight activities in line with the ESA Agenda 2025. One of the five priorities of Agenda 2025 is “Develop Space for Security and Safety”. In this regard, this safety and security priority aims at addressing international security challenges resorting to space-based capacities. The COVID-19 crisis is a painful reminder of the fact that we live in an ever-changing world, with existing and emerging risks.With the rise of global challenges, the understanding and definition of safety and security have become much broader, extending beyond the military dimensions.
Today, many programmes such as weather satellites, the Galileo Public Regulated Service, satellite-based communications or European launchers already serve national dual use needs on an operational basis. Most risks to our society and economy require space to be properly involved. It is leading a transversal work with the other DG services and Directorates concerned.
For further information visit our web site: http://www.esa.int
Field(s) of activity for the internship
You can choose between the following topics:
1) Topic 1: Propose a CRM strategy for the space sector
- State of the Art on regulation and methodologies (literature + interviews)
- Proposal of strategy building up on initial work done by Deloitte for Cleanspace in 2019 (here)
2) Topic 2: Self-assessment tool digitalization
- Propose ways to digitalize and integrate the self-assessment tool at ESA systems to evaluate the alignment of applications and services provided by new ESA programmes and activities to the sustainability principles
- Develop user guide
- Develop training material
- Set up and run a training session for future users
3) Topic 3: Follow-up implementation of Greenovation projects
- Contact project owners and project leaders
- Report and update on implementation
- Potentially suggest implementation of projects in the waiting list (if relevant)
- Measure and report on the impacts (when feasible)
You must have student status and be enrolled at university for the entire duration of the internship. You should preferably be in your final or second to last year of a university course at master’s level in a technical or scientific discipline.
The working languages of the Agency are English and French. A good knowledge of one of these is required. Knowledge of another Member State language would be an asset.
1) Topic 1:
- Environmental science and sustainability knowledge
For behavioural competencies expected from ESA staff in general, please refer to the ESA Competency Framework.
If you require support with your application due to a disability, please email [email protected].
Internships can take place remotely, on-site or partially on-site depending on the pandemic situation, and in line with the relevant Establishment’s policy (e.g. possible Green Pass requirement) applicable at the time of starting the internship.
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. Nationals from Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia and Slovenia, as Associate Member States, or Canada as a Cooperating State, can apply as well as those from Bulgaria, Croatia and Cyprus as European Cooperating States (ECS).
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this internship posting.