European Space Agency (ESA)
Internship Opportunity in the Director General’s Services.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. We therefore welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics. Applications from women are encouraged.
Our team and mission
This position is based at the ESA HQ – Paris, France
The Director General and Council Support Division within the Director General’s Cabinet is responsible for providing all necessary support to the day-to-day work of the ESA Director General, in particular:
- Supporting the Director General’s operational activities in coordination with the Director General’s Office;
- Maintaining relations with ESA Member States, including pre-Council consultations, as well as meetings and visits of the Director General. This responsibility includes maintaining briefing notes and up-to-date dossiers on each Member State andensuring ESA-wide coordinated preparation;
- Preparing the Director General’s internal meetings, providing in particular the secretariat of the Executive Board and organising bilateral meetings with Directorates;
- The Director General’s correspondence, speeches, presentations, reporting and contributions to publications;
- The protocol service, in particular maintaining a diplomatic network and managing the VIP participation to launch events with the support of the communication services;
- Monitoring subsidies granted to third parties and memberships.
For further information visit our web site: http://www.esa.int
Field(s) of activity for the internship
Topic: Space Policy & Strategy
As an intern, you will put into practice the knowledge acquired during their studies, while supporting the activities of the DG Support and Members States Relations Section within the Director General’s Cabinet.
The main tasks will be, in coordination with the other interns of that team, to support the daily tasks of the team and in particular:
- Continuous monitoring of space activities and trends, political developments, and policy-related topics of selected ESA Member States;
- Contributing to the weekly updating and distribution of the Member States observatory and associated products;
- Supporting the preparation of background input for meetings of the Director General with ESA Member States ;
- Supporting the preparation of presentation material for engagements of the Director General
- Ad-hoc tasks in support of the team’s activities
You must have student status and be enrolled at university for the entire duration of the internship. You should preferably be in your final or second to last year of a university course at master’s level in a technical or scientific discipline.
The working languages of the Agency are English and French. A good knowledge of one of these is required. Knowledge of another Member State language would be an asset.
- Knowledge and background in the areas of political or social science, international relations, space law, policy, and/or related fields is an asset.
For behavioural competencies expected from ESA staff in general, please refer to the ESA Competency Framework.
If you require support with your application due to a disability, please email [email protected].
Internships can take place remotely, on-site or partially on-site depending on the pandemic situation, and in line with the relevant Establishment’s policy (e.g. possible Green Pass requirement) applicable at the time of starting the internship.
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. Nationals from Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia and Slovenia, as Associate Member States, or Canada as a Cooperating State, can apply as well as those from Bulgaria, Croatia and Cyprus as European Cooperating States (ECS).
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this internship posting.