European Space Agency (ESA)
Internship Opportunity in the Directorate of Space Transportation.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. We therefore welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics. Applications from women are encouraged.
Our team and mission
This position is based at the ESA HQ – Paris, France
Propulsion test facilities and services team is under the responsibility of the Infrastructure and Value Chain department.
We ensure the maintenance in operational conditions of ESA-owned engine test facilities operated by industry and the public sector, and setting up and managing the corresponding contracts with the different operators.
For further information visit our web site: http://www.esa.int
Field(s) of activity for the internship
Topic: Propulsion Test Facilities: Implementation of a new ESA support to industry: Propulsion Test Equipment Rental
After being instructed about the propulsion test bench functions, you will have to perform the following activities:
- Contact with the major Test Bench operators (DLR, BeBlue, ArianeGroup, SSC, PLD…)and the New Space Transportation Industry in Europe (RFA, Sirius…)
- Establish a specification: Which equipment are eligible and validate
- Elaboration of a first document listing equipment/subsystems of general interest, being difficult to afford for the industry or of long lead procurement items…(high speed camera, infra red camera, leak detectors, He compressors…). Constraints: Environmental impact, right and standard interfaces, good capacities/volumes, flow rates, compatibilities to different media…)
- Validation of the list of equipment
- Quote of the Equipment procurement costs, quote of the maintenance costs
- Elaboration of Rental schemes including the negotiation with the rental operator (rental operator provides support for the renter)
- Evaluate if test team can be rented as well
- Link to European Commission Internet Page: give data to EC for implementation in the shared Test Infrastructure Webpage.
You must have student status and be enrolled at university for the entire duration of the internship. You should preferably be in your final or second to last year of a university course at master’s level in a technical or scientific discipline.
The working languages of the Agency are English and French. A good knowledge of one of these is required. Knowledge of another Member State language would be an asset.
Knowledge and background:
- Space business, in particular in engine and propulsion technics is an asset.
- Thermal and mechanical / fluidics
- General knowledge about economic and business model
- Openness and good relationship
For behavioural competencies expected from ESA staff in general, please refer to the ESA Competency Framework.
If you require support with your application due to a disability, please email [email protected].
Internships can take place remotely, on-site or partially on-site depending on the pandemic situation, and in line with the relevant Establishment’s policy (e.g. possible Green Pass requirement) applicable at the time of starting the internship.
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. Nationals from Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia and Slovenia, as Associate Member States, or Canada as a Cooperating State, can apply as well as those from Bulgaria, Croatia and Cyprus as European Cooperating States (ECS).
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this internship posting.