Are you passionate about managing intelligence data to highlight and tackle the illegal killing
of birds of prey? Could you oversee the stringent handling of crime reports, disseminating
appropriate critical intelligence to investigations staff and police – enabling them to catch
offenders and make a real difference? Do you see both critical detail and the bigger picture,
safely managing an intelligence team within a leading conservation organisation playing a
significant partnership role in ending crimes against birds of prey. If so, our mission is
urgent, and we need you now!
Day to day you will be managing a team of three Intelligence Officers, who receive and process
hundreds of bird crime reports each year, overseeing the compilation of key information for our
annual Birdcrime report, and disseminating time critical crime reports to both RSPB
Investigation Officers and external partners including the Police and the National Wildlife
You will be responsible for data and intelligence stewardship, governance, quality and
reputational risk management for highly restricted data, as well as ensuring intelligence is
managed in line with statutory and best practice requirements.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- High level of technical and practical knowledge of data and/or intelligence management and
- Proven knowledge of legislation relevant to information management including Data
Protection Act and Human Rights Act.
- Practical knowledge of wildlife protection legislation.
- Knowledge of specialist software enabling its successful deployment in support of key
result areas above.
- Proven high levels of IT literacy and numeracy.
- Proven excellent written and verbal communication skills to achieve key result areas.
- Proven ability to prioritise competing and high volume demands effectively and to provide a
high level of customer care.
- Proven ability to train others (non-specialists) and run workshops in specialist subjects
including data/intelligence management and analysis.
- Proven ability to solve problems and develop systems, information and data-related policies
and to lead compliance across a large organisation.
- Proven ability to persuade and influence key partners, and manage and develop relationships
at high levels.
- Experience of leading teams and developing/delivering bespoke training courses.
- Capable and confident in designing and delivering internal and external presentations.
- Experience of handling, analysis and presentation of specialist data.
- GCSE or equivalent in English and Maths.
Desirable qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience
- Knowledge of Police standards for Intelligence Management.
- Information systems-related qualification or experience of information systems security.
- Experience of working with statutory agencies or in the law enforcement arena.
- First degree in biology, ecology or conservation, or equivalent relevant experience.
- Experience of communicating with witnesses of criminal activities and conducting risk
assessments to ensure their position is not compromised.
- Experience of preparing material for and working with media organisations on difficult or
- This role will require occasional travel within the UK.
- This role will require occasional overnight stays away from home.
- Police vetting (NPPV3) and Security Clearance will be required for this role.
- The RSPB works for a healthy environment for all and we therefore expect you to take action
in accordance with our Environmental Policy and objectives. Together we can make a positive
difference for our world.
- In the RSPB, volunteers are a major resource and make a vital contribution to the RSPB’s
aim to take action for the conservation of wild birds and the environment. Employees are
responsible for encouraging, developing and supporting volunteers in their work for the RSPB.
This is a Permanent, Full-Time role. We are looking to conduct interviews for this position
from 12th April 2023. For further information please contact [email protected]
As part of this application process you will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and complete
an application form including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience
This role will require completion of a DBS/PVG/Access NI in addition to the standard
We are committed to developing an inclusive and diverse RSPB, in which everyone
feels supported, valued, and able to be their full selves. To achieve our vision of creating a
world richer in nature, we need more people, and more diverse people, on nature’s side. People
of colour and disabled people are currently underrepresented across the environment, climate,
sustainability, and conservation sector. If you identify as a person of colour and/or disabled,
we are particularly interested in receiving your application. Contact us to discuss any
additional support you may need to complete your application.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is exempt from the Rehabilitation of
Offenders Act 1974.
The RSPB is a licenced sponsor. This role is eligible for UK Visa Sponsorship.
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.