University of Exeter
INTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY
Faculty of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences
Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies
This full time post is available immediately.
The Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies at the University of Exeter is a leading academic institution in the UK offering research and taught degree programmes in a wide range of areas within the field of Arab, Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies. We offer Arabic and Middle East languages as well as comprehensive education in the literatures and cultures of the Arab world and Middle East, the history, politics, economies, societies, and anthropology of the region and almost every aspect of Islamic studies from medieval to modern Islam. A number of dedicated research centres and links with other subject areas provide you with an opportunity to branch out into other disciplines and areas of study, as well as reinforcing the teaching you receive through cutting-edge research and engagement with current issues.
The Lecturer in Gender and Kurdish Studies will contribute to extending the research profile of gender and Kurdish studies at IAIS, particularly in areas related or complimentary to Kurdish women studies, Kurdish culture and literature, Middle East gender studies, and gender theory. The successful candidate will teach UG and PGT modules in Kurdish language, literature, history and culture and politics, in gender and the Middle East., and will supervise PhD students in their areas of expertise. The post also involves academic administrative duties within the institute (for example personal tutoring, support with admissions, UG and PGT programme coordination, and exam processes) and the Centre for Kurdish Studies.
You will have:
- A PhD or equivalent in Kurdish Studies and have an independent, internationally-recognised research project in a relevant active field of research
- A strong record in attracting funding for research, or demonstrate potential to attract such funding
- An active approach to inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary research
- Enthusiasm for delivering high quality undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
- Strong connections and potential for funded projects with business and community partners
- Involvement in projects which develop impact
Please ensure you read the Job Description and Person Specification for full details of this role.
The University of Exeter
We are a member of the prestigious Russell Group of research-intensive universities and in the top 150 universities in the world (Polijobs World University Rankings 2022 and QS World University Ranking 2022).
Our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Commitment
With over 27,000 students and 6,400 staff from 180 different countries we offer a diverse and engaging environment where our diversity is celebrated and valued as a major strength. We are committed to creating an inclusive culture where all members of our community are supported to thrive; where diverse voices are heard through our engagement with evidence-based charter frameworks for gender (Athena SWAN), race equality (Race Equality Charter Mark), LGBTQ+ inclusion (Stonewall Diversity Champion) and as a Disability Confident employer. Whilst all applicants will be judged on merit alone, we particularly welcome applications from groups currently underrepresented within our working community. Reasonable adjustments are available for interviews and workplaces.
We offer some fantastic benefits including:
- 41 days leave per year
- options for flexible working
- numerous discounts at leading retailers
- onsite gyms on all of our campus’ and a cycle to work scheme
- sector leading policies around maternity, adoption and shared parental leave (up to 26 weeks full pay), paternity leave (up to six weeks full pay) and a new Fertility Treatment Policy
- stunning campus environments in Exeter and Cornwall, in the beautiful South West of England
For an informal and confidential discussion about the post please contact Professor Christina Phillips [email protected]
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.