National Cycle Network Biodiversity Officer
- England and Wales
- £28,499 per annum (pro rata for part-time hours)
- Ref: SUS4015
- Part-time 18.75 hours per week – happy to talk about flexible working
- Base: Hybrid in England or Wales
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to conserve and enhance the biodiversity of the National Cycle
You will support the Head of Biodiversity and the Ecology and Arboriculture Team and play a key
role in supporting the adoption and implementation of the Sustrans Biodiversity Action Plan.
As the NCN Biodiversity Officer, you will be undertaking habitat surveys and using this
information to update and prepare new route habitat management plans covering sites across
England and Wales. Once prepared, you will work with others to put these plans into action.
As well as preparing habitat management plans, you will collate, monitor, and report evidence
to meet the objectives of the Biodiversity Action Plan. You will also build relationships with
local land managers, guide them in best ecological practices, and share your knowledge and
interest in biodiversity to engage with other Sustrans staff and our volunteer network. The aim
of the role is to help embed biodiversity in everything we do.
This role will require travel and work at locations as necessary to undertake projects on
behalf of Sustrans.
You should have experience in preparing and implementing long-term habitat plans and carrying
out field surveys, preferably using UKhabs. We are also looking for someone who can demonstrate
knowledge and experience of working with staff, contractors and volunteers to deliver
With the ability to plan, manage and deliver multiple projects and programmes of work, you will
also have experience preparing funding bids to support habitat management projects.
Sustrans has a long-term commitment to being a charity for everyone – reducing inequality,
valuing diversity, enabling inclusion and ensuring all people are treated with dignity and
respect. We aim to be a truly inclusive employer and welcome applications from people from all
parts of the community, in particular from under-represented groups.
What we offer
In return we can offer true hybrid working to suit individual circumstances and a flexible,
supportive and rewarding working environment.
- 28 days’ leave per annum plus bank holidays for full-time working
- Ability to buy an extra week of annual leave (pro-rata for part-time staff)
- Staff volunteer days
- 24/7 free, impartial and confidential support service
- We are members of the Green Commute Initiative and Cycle Scheme who both offer cycle to
- Group Personal Pension scheme with a 4% or 5% of basic salary contribution being matched by
- Bike, computer and season ticket loans
- Discount benefits
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Flexible Working practices (full time hours are 37.5 per week, Monday – Friday)
- Closing date for the receipt of completed applications is 23:59, 16 April 2023
- Interviews will take place via MS Teams on 24 April 2023
- A Sustrans-wide pay review is pending, so the starting salary will be higher than currently
advertised. As yet, we do not have details of the new salary points
To apply, please complete our online application form. More details of our vacancies can be
found on our website.
At Sustrans you’ll be part of a movement to make it easier for people to walk and cycle.
We’re all here to change things! You’ll be part of an incredible community of talented,
passionate, creative, problem solvers all working together to change things for the better. We
act locally and think big – we have a vision of a society where the way we travel creates
healthier places and happier lives for everyone.
You’ll be questioning the status quo and daring to imagine a different world. You’ll work on
exciting, impactful projects that will stretch and empower you and you’ll be rewarded by seeing
the difference you make to people, communities and the planet.
We believe including everyone is central to who we are and what we want to achieve, we welcome
difference and pride ourselves on creating a culture where you can be yourself and where your
wellness is supported.
You’ll be guaranteed to make friends and work with a team that is incredibly flexible,
supportive, ethical and fun.
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.