Network Development Officer
- England, Midlands and East
- £28,211 per annum (pro rata for part time hours)
- Ref: SUS4125
- Full Time 37.5 hours per week – happy to talk flexible working
- Base: Nottingham or Birmingham with the flexibility to work from home
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity to join the Network Development team, working across the
Midlands to help make a difference to walking and cycling infrastructure. As a valued member of
the team, the Network Development Officer will provide technical expertise to ensure that we
deliver high-quality innovative and impactful projects on the National Cycle Network.
Playing a key part in the projects, you will support the Network Development team by collecting
and analysing data, providing mapping expertise and reporting to senior management. You will be
providing critical technical support to enable the delivery of feasibility studies, Local
Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plans (LCWIPs) and other local and regional paid work to
deliver our Paths for Everyone vision for the National Cycle Network.
You will build internal and external relationships with key people from local authorities,
clients, funders and decision-makers.
We offer true hybrid working, a flexible mix of working from home and occasional travel to a
nearby office hub in Birmingham or Nottingham.
Together with a good understanding of active travel network design, you should be adept in
using Geographical Information Systems (GIS) software including ArcGIS Pro to undertake mapping
and data analysis.
Accustomed to working to tight deadlines, you will have the ability to prioritise and manage
your own workload. Dependent on project requirements, you will undertake site visits to conduct
photographic surveys, network audits and parking surveys, collecting and collating the results
clearly and efficiently.
You will own excellent communications skills, with the ability to build and maintain
relationships with ease across a wide range of people. You will be happy to assist colleagues
with specialist technical knowledge and able to confidently work with design programmes.
You will be skilled in working with large volumes of data and proficient in MS packages
including Excel. With the ability to research, produce and deliver excellent readable technical
reports or guidance.
Sustrans has a long-term commitment to being a charity for everyone – reducing inequality,
valuing diversity, enabling inclusion and ensuring all people are treated with dignity and
respect. We aim to be a truly inclusive employer and welcome applications from people from all
parts of the community, in particular from under-represented groups.
What we offer
In return we can offer true hybrid working to suit individual circumstances and a flexible,
supportive and rewarding working environment.
- 28 days’ leave per annum plus bank holidays for full-time working
- Ability to buy an extra week of annual leave (pro-rata for part-time staff)
- Staff volunteer days
- 24/7 free, impartial and confidential support service
- We are members of the Green Commute Initiative and Cycle Scheme who both offer cycle to
- Group Personal Pension scheme with a 5% or 6% of basic salary contribution being matched by
- Bike, computer and season ticket loans
- Discount benefits
- London Weighting Allowance of £4,195 for all those living within a London Borough (32
local authority districts plus the City of London)
- Death in Service benefit – 3 x annual Salary
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Flexible Working practices (full time hours are 37.5 per week, Monday – Friday)
- Closing date for the receipt of completed applications is 23:59, 08 October 2023
- Interviews will take place via MS Teams week commencing 16 October 2023
To apply, please complete our online application form. More details of our vacancies can be
found on our website.
At Sustrans you’ll be part of a movement to make it easier for people to walk and cycle.
We’re all here to change things! You’ll be part of an incredible community of talented,
passionate, creative, problem solvers all working together to change things for the better. We
act locally and think big – we have a vision of a society where the way we travel creates
healthier places and happier lives for everyone.
You’ll be questioning the status quo and daring to imagine a different world. You’ll work on
exciting, impactful projects that will stretch and empower you and you’ll be rewarded by seeing
the difference you make to people, communities and the planet.
We believe including everyone is central to who we are and what we want to achieve, we welcome
difference and pride ourselves on creating a culture where you can be yourself and where your
wellness is supported.
You’ll be working with a team that is incredibly flexible, supportive, ethical and fun.
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.