University of London
Department: IT Services
Salary: £42,405 – £49,785 per annum (Grade 5)
Location: Mile End
Date posted: 8 November 2023
Closing date: 24 November 2023
Further details and apply
About the Team
The Network & Unified Communications Operations team are responsible for the delivery and support of network services for the University.
We are looking for candidates that can demonstrate resourcefulness, initiative and understand the value of delivering reliable and stable services and is able to produce clear and concise documentation.
We are looking for a candidate who has experience configuring and working with some of the following:
- Experience of Cisco switching and routing
- Experience of configuring and troubleshooting security appliances and security protocols, e.g. Fortinet Next Generation Firewalls, RADIUS authentication, IPSec and SSL VPNs, web filtering.
- Experience of standard switching and routing protocols including IPv4, IPv6, 802.1q, VRRP, BGP, VRF lite, and 802.1x
- Extensive experience of wireless implementation and support, including:
- Performing of physical wireless surveys using industry standard tools (ekahau)
- Performing desktop wireless surveys
- Optimisation of wireless controller configurations
- Working with external contractors to install supporting data outlets
- Troubleshooting client devices issues
- Configuration of RADIUS authentication and RADIUS proxying
- Understanding of Network Management systems, such as Solarwinds and Cisco Prime, and the network protocols that underpin these, including: SNMPv2, SNMPv3, syslog and NetFlow
- IP address management, DHCP, DNS and SSL certificate administration.
- The ability to present your ideas in specialist areas to a wide and potentially non-technical audience
About the Role
The Network & Unified Communications Officer will deliver and support scalable network solutions that meet the needs of the organisation. They will be as part of a larger project team, deliver and support a new ubiquitous wireless service for the University. Prioritise and manage own work and provide ownership and resolution of Incidents following standard ITIL processes. They will also configure and support DHCP & DNS services provided by Infoblox DDI appliances, delivery of network services in new and remote campus environments. Use the university’s Fortinet Security Fabric architecture (comprising of FortiGate, FortiAnalyser, FortiClient EMS, and FortiManager) to deliver and support services including:
- IPS policies, Application Inspections and firewall rules
- Site-to-Site VPNs for remote site and cloud connectivity
We offer competitive salaries, access to a generous pension scheme, 30 days’ leave per annum (pro-rata for part-time/fixed-term), a season ticket loan scheme and access to a comprehensive range of personal and professional development opportunities. In addition, we offer a range of work life balance and family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements, and campus facilities including an on-site nursery at the Mile End campus.
Queen Mary’s commitment to our diverse and inclusive community is embedded in our appointments processes. Reasonable adjustments will be made at each stage of the recruitment process for any candidate with a disability. We are open to considering applications from candidates wishing to work flexibly
Informal enquiries should be addressed to Network & Unified Communications Operations Manager, Aqib Khan [email protected].
Provisional interview date is 29 November 2023.
Valuing Diversity & Committed to Equality
Further details and apply
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.