4 Nov 2023
- Renaissance Fusion
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
- Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
- 1 Feb 2024 – 23:00 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- To be defined
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- To be defined
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
- Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Renaissance Fusion is the first Magnetic Confinement Fusion company in the EU. We are building the first net-energy producing stellarator by combining proprietary innovations in modular design, the manufacturing of next-generation High-Temperature Superconducting (HTS) magnets, and liquid walls. We are forming a team of the brightest, most driven scientists and engineers to realize and commercialize our non-fusion HTS magnets within 2 years, and fusion magnets and integrated fusion solutions within 10 years.
Specifically, as a member of the nuclear system engineering team, we are looking for a nuclear safety engineer with strong communication skills, rigorous and problem-solving who’ll define and provide internally safety guidelines for the design, operation and decommissioning of nuclear facilities in accordance with nuclear safety regulations, and who’ll provide externally all deliverables required by nuclear regulatory bodies.
Your main responsibilities will be:
Risk investigations and management
- Perform studies to demonstrate the safety of fusion experimental installations
- Conduct safety case studies such as: HAZID assessments, Qualitative and Quantitative Hazard assessments, Radiological Hazard assessments, Hazardous Materials Handling, Probabilistic Safety and Risk assessments, Fault Occurrence and Mitigation assessments etc…
- Initiate and maintain the relationship with subcontractors or partners for any delegation related to nuclear safety studies
Guidelines definition, communication and support
- Create and maintain safety documents: Safety operations, Design Authority technical reports, Generic Site Safety Reports (GSSR), Documented Safety Analysis (DSA) documents, Technical Safety Requirement (TSR) documents, National and International Regulatory frameworks etc…
- Continuously support R&D, operations, maintenance and transportation teams with safety advice, guidelines and analyses
- Undertake staff awareness or training activities on nuclear safety topics any time it is required
- Apply fundamental safety principles (ALARA, Defence-in depth, passive safety, …) to support the design, operation, maintenance, and regulations for nuclear systems and component
- Provide prompt feedback when a task encounters issues that preclude its timely completion
- Comply with RF design control processes, including but not limited to: documenting analyses in written files; arranging for check and review of analysis files; upholding high standards of good-faith collaboration and teamwork
- Carry out a permanent regulatory and legal watch on nuclear safety aspects and implement required changes
- Create and submit all deliverables required by nuclear regulatory bodies such as DOS (dossier option de sureté), PSAR (preliminary safety analysis report) …
You are the ideal profile if:
*Education and professional experience
- Degree in Nuclear/Mechanical Engineering or closely related field:
-Master’s Degree with a minimum of 6 years of work experience
-Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 10 years of work experience
- Work experience should be in the field of nuclear safety engineering, preferably with diverse applications to fusion experiments, radiation protection, remote handling and/or management of radwaste
- Fluent in French (C1/C2)
- Fluent in English (B2/C1)
- Strong background in safety case production and hazard analysis.
- Knowledge of French nuclear regulations, and regulatory bodies.
- Ability to apply safety standards, principles for the design, classification, and qualification of mechanical components for nuclear applications.
- Knowledge of various nuclear codes and standards such as the IAEA -TECDOC – 1851 ‘Integrated Approach to Safety Classification of Mechanical Components for Fusion Applications’
- Knowledge of US and French nuclear licensing process
- Experience in the implementation and optimization of remote maintenance systems through testing, commissioning and/or direct usage
- Experience in the installation, integration and/or commissioning of complex engineering plant systems
- Knowledge and/or experience with: magnetic confinement fusion, and nuclear fusion technologies
- Number of offers available
- Renaissance Fusion
Where to apply
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.