The borough of Wandsworth has one of the richest varieties of open spaces in central London.
Enable is a not-for-profit charitable organisation and the lead contractor employed by
Wandsworth Borough Council to manage Leisure and Cultural services throughout the borough
including the management and maintenance of 32 parks and open spaces.
The role of Parks Manager will test your existing skills and experience in contract management,
grounds maintenance, ecology, biodiversity and groundsmanship as you deliver the highest
quality of green space for residents and visitors to Wandsworth. You will understand the
current pressures on urban greenspaces and will be able to contribute proactively to outcomes
which support biodiversity, climate resilience and natural recovery.
The portfolio of green space you will be responsible for ranges from small pocket parks,
housing sites, allotments, cemeteries, sports pitches, plus sites of regional importance in
heritage and biodiversity such as Tooting and Wandsworth Commons and the iconic Grade II listed
Battersea Park. You will be expected to oversee operations across this range of spaces, each
with their own site-specific challenges while ensuring consistent cost control within set
You will be a leading member of the Parks team, taking overall responsibility for the
day-to-day management of all parks operations including the delivery of the horticultural
ground’s maintenance and playground service throughout the borough of Wandsworth.
The ideal candidate for this role will be someone who has a positive and supportive attitude,
is action orientated, highly organised and able to manage multiple projects effectively, while
also managing longer term strategic objectives.
Main responsibilities and Duties
- Responsible to the Head of Parks for all aspects of the day-to-day management of the
Borough’s Parks and Open Spaces, Playgrounds, Cemeteries and highway amenity areas ensuring
that horticultural grounds maintenance, litter picking, and sports pitch maintenance are
carried out together with grave digging duties and cleaning contractor duties in accordance
with the approved contract.
- Day-to-day management of the Parks Operations Team plus the oversight of a team of approx.
90 contracted grounds staff.
- Develop existing relationships with the contractor team, relevant industry bodies,
sub-contractors and horticultural and amenity product suppliers to allow strategic leadership
on all aspects of managing the horticultural operation and the provision of an exemplar
- In collaboration with colleagues you will be responsible for ensuring the management of all
water bodies and fishing lakes.
- Carry out routine monitoring of the Horticultural Maintenance and Cleaning Contractors
performance ensuring compliance with the contract specifications and the clients’s guidelines.
- Monitor all instructed parks project works through to completion approving sign off where
necessary, providing assessments and/or financial reports when required.
- Maintain and develop strong working relationships with the Contractor’s Senior Managers,
facilitate and chair regular review meetings to assess operational performance, plan future
works, evaluate outputs and implement processes in order to seek service efficiencies and
- Ensures that customer complaints and queries relating to parks operations are investigated
and dealt with promptly, answer Freedom of Information requests and day to day queries from
colleagues, clients and the general public.
- Work collaboratively with the Parks Development Team on future improvement projects,
providing technical and horticultural advice when required. Assist with the procurement of
contractors and materials for improvement projects and assist with project delivery.
- Liaise with external organisations including Network Rail, utility providers, landowners
and stakeholders that carry out works on or adjacent to Parks and Open Spaces to ensure minimal
disruption/impact and to ensure the safety of users at all times.
- Attend meetings and provide technical advice and support for colleagues in relation to
grounds maintenance and protecting green infrastructure where Events and Filming take place
within parks and open spaces.
Top 8 deliverables for the role
- Management and leadership of a diverse and skilled team to deliver high quality services in
our Parks, Commons and Open Spaces.
- Ensure the cost-effective operation of the Parks, Play and Cemeteries contracts, which have
a current value of approx. £3.5m p/a.
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability when identifying innovative solutions to the
challenges and problems that arise during the day-to-day running of the GM contract and
management of Wandsworth’s Parks and Open Spaces.
- Ensure that all park operations observe all established Health and Safety requirements and
other regulations ensuring a safe environment for the contractor team, public and park users at
- Provide specialist advice to our client, Wandsworth Borough Council, and provide them with
exceptional customer service while supporting the delivery of their projects.
- Overall responsibility to maintain and develop records of the infrastructure in
Wandsworth’s Greenspaces, and work closely with the Parks Development team to apply for
- Have a diverse knowledge of Grounds Maintenance, with an emphasis on biodiversity,
horticulture, sports facilities, cemeteries, and sustainability.
- Develop strong working relationships with partners, including stakeholder groups that
represent their local greenspaces.
- Qualified to degree level and/or with significant relevant experience in the landscaping
and/or horticultural sectors.
- Previous senior contract, operational management or frontline service delivery experience.
- Comprehensive understanding of amenity horticulture, processes and equipment.
- Able to develop excellent working relationships with clients and stakeholders and provide
an unrivalled customer experience.
- Experience managing sub-contracted or direct labour in the horticultural, maintenance or
- Experience working collaboratively with and providing support to internal departments.
- An awareness of the needs of a range of users, stakeholders and partners in a parks and
open spaces setting.
- Commercially aware; able to prepare budgets, forecasts and manage costs.
- Maintain existing and develop new strategic relationships
- A positive “can-do” approach with the ability to manage multiple live projects.
- 30 Days Annual Leave (Plus bank holidays)
- Enhanced Maternity / Paternity leave
- Pension Scheme
- Life Insurance
- Eyecare Vouchers
- Free Gym membership
- On-site shower facilities
- Quarterly all-staff social
- Season Ticket Loan
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Reward hub
- Weekly Wellbeing Hour
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.