IFREMER - Institut Français de Recherche pour l'Exploitation de la MER
15 May 2023
- IFREMER – Institut Français de Recherche pour l’Exploitation de la MER
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
- First Stage Researcher (R1)
Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
- 22 May 2023 – 23:55 (Europe/Paris)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
- Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
The UMR BEEP (Biology and Ecology of Deep Marine Ecosystems) aims to study the biology and ecology of deep marine ecosystems through a multidisciplinary and holistic approach from microorganisms to megafauna, and from molecule to community. Research mainly focuses on the description and dynamics of biological diversity, biotic and environmental interactions, and the adaptation and response of biological systems under natural and anthropogenic stress. These issues are addressed at different spatial and temporal scales depending on the ecosystems studied: chemosynthetic ecosystems, cold water corals, seamounts or abyssal plains.
Within the UMR BEEP and under the authority of the head of the Extreme Environment Microbiology Laboratory, in the framework of the priority research program “Ocean and Climate” (ANR), you will contribute to the LIFEDEEPER project with the objective of developing new approaches and integrated studies, in situ, in vivo, experimental, modeling and qualitative research in social sciences, in order to understand the natural geological, geochemical and biological functioning of ecosystems in the TAG and Snake Pit areas, and on a larger scale in the Atlantic Ocean.
General areas of responsibility
Within the French priority research program centered on “Ocean and climate” (ANR), the candidate will contribute to evaluate the involvement in biogeochemical cycles of microbial communities associated with inactive massive sulfides. In order to characterize the diversity, interactions and activity of microorganisms, mineralization samples collected by the Nautile submersible will be characterized by microscopy, metabarcoding, metagenomics and in situ measurements of microbial carbon fixation rates (using radio-labeled substrates and high-pressure incubators – 300-400 bars). Some samples from the HERMINE2 campaign are already available in the laboratory and others will be collected during the BICOSE3 campaign (October-December 2023).
The candidate will be supervised by Dr. Erwan Roussel (BEEP, Ifremer Bretagne, France). Although short stays in partner institutions are possible, the main place of assignment will be the Ifremer Bretagne Center (Plouzané, Finistère). The candidate will be required to carry out part of the experiments at sea (45 days during the BICOSE 3 campaign on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge).
- To prepare and carry out experiments with radio-labeled substrates under pressure
- To quantify carbon incorporation rates.
- To prepare and analyse metagenomic libraries on low biomass samples.
- To perform cell enumeration by fluorescence microscopy techniques (FISH, CARD-FISH)
- To identify of heterotrophic and autotrophic metabolic pathways.
Collaborative work environment
- UMR BEEP, of the UMR Geo-Ocean.
- Research Field
- Education Level
- PhD or equivalent
Required Knowledge, skills, and characteristics
- PhD. in marine microbiology or equivalent
- International postdoctoral experience
Required knowledge, skills and characteristics
Technical / professional skills
- Experience in using radiolabeled substrates (ex. 14 Cbicarbonate, 3 H-leucine).
- Experience in handeling metagenomic libraries and their bioinformatics analysis.
- Experience in using high-pressure micro/mesocosms.
- Knowledge in the field microbial ecology of hydrothermal systems.
- Written and spoken English.
- Enthusiasm and personal drive
- Rigor, perseverance, autonomy
- Open-mindedness, interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team and at sea
- Scientific and technical curiosity, ability to evolve and train oneself and others
- Ability to synthesize and valorize results / write publications.
Specific working conditions
- 18 months fixed-term contract
- Full time
- Oceanographic cruise
The Institute and the recruiting departement
A pioneer in ocean science, IFREMER’s cutting-edge research is grounded in sustainable development and open science. Our vision is to advance science, expertise and innovation to:
– Protect and restore the ocean
– Sustainably use marine resources to benefit society
– Create and share ocean data, information & knowledge.
With more than 1,500 personnel spread along the French coastline in more than 20 sites, the Institute explores the 3 great oceans: the Indian, Atlantic and Pacific oceans. A leader in ocean science, IFREMER is managing the French Oceanographic Fleet and its dedicated scientists create ground-breaking technology to push the boundaries of ocean exploration and knowledge, from the abyss to the atmosphere-ocean interface.
Well-established in the international scientific community, our scientists, engineers and technicians are committed to advance knowledge about our planet’s last unexplored frontiers. They provide the science we need for informed decision-making and public policy and they transfer this knowledge and technology to businesses to fulfill public and private needs. Core to our mission is also to strengthen public awareness about the importance of understanding the ocean and its resources, and empowering future generations of leaders through education and outreach national campaigns.
Founded in 1984, IFREMER is a French public organization and its budget approximates 240 million euros. It is operating under the joint authority of the French Ministry for Higher Education, Research and Innovation, the french Ministry of the Sea, the French Ministry for the Ecological and Solidary Transition, and the French Ministry of Agriculture and Food.
- Number of offers available
Where to apply
- BP 70
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.