Somerset Drainage Boards Consortium
The Project Engineer will propose, develop and undertake management and oversight of
Engineering Projects within the Boards’ areas. The postholder is responsible for production and
upkeep of a rolling Programme of Works across the Boards’ areas and will assist in the
management of the drainage and water level management network as well as providing an advisory
role to the Development Control Officer.
The Somerset Drainage Boards Consortium is the organisation that manages the operations and
affairs of three Internal Drainage Boards (IDBs) in Somerset (The Axe Brue, Parrett & North
Somerset Levels IDBs) providing them with finance, engineering, legal, environmental and
administration services via a team of in-house staff and consultants. The main activity of the
Boards is to manage water levels and Flood Risk within their respective catchments for the
protection of people, property and the environment.
The primary role of the Project Engineer is to propose, develop and undertake the management
and oversight of Engineering Projects across all Boards’ areas, but also to work under the
Senior Engineer providing Engineering support to the wider business.
Working alongside an experienced team you will:
- Identify, develop and implement potential engineering opportunities within the Boards’
districts to reduce flood risk and/or improve conveyance. These Projects are to be captured
within a rolling Programme of Works prioritised from our defects and asset management system.
- Work with the Area Managers and Area Supervisors to identify, develop and implement
potential engineering opportunities within the Boards’ districts top reduce flood risk and/or
- Develop potential costed engineering improvement and refurbishment projects and wider
Schemes to form part of the annual works programme.
- Identify additional potential sources of funding to supplement the normal Board Income
streams from Rate Payers and Special Levy in delivering the Programme of Works.
- Manage and oversee projects within the improvement and refurbishment works programme.
- Provide the structural design of water retaining and control structures, as well as small
structures such as walls, culverts and bridges.
- Assist the Development Control Officer in ensuring that all Development minimises flood
risk and any impacts on the Board’s drainage and water level management infrastructure and
allows the Board to meet its environmental duties.
- Provide engineering information, technical support, checking, guidance and training to
other SDBC staff on structural design and asset management.
- Assist in the generation of a programme of asset and watercourse inspections and recording
of subsequent information in the Asset Register.
- Provide advice, guidance and information of technical and structural matters to other
- Undertake formal reporting to the Boards and their respective Committees both in writing
and verbally at Meetings.
This post is Full Time based from our office in Highbridge, with site visits across the Boards
areas forming part of the role.
Experience and skills
- HNC (or equivalent) in a construction related discipline.
- Post-qualification experience of municipal engineering.
- To be familiar with soft ground engineering.
- To have some knowledge of land drainage and flood prevention techniques.
- Thorough understanding and practical application of Health & Safety legislation and
procedures including CDM.
- Experience of the hydrology of small catchments and the hydraulic design of systems and
- To be competent in the use of computer software in particular, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint,
Autocad and GIS mapping experience.
- Experience in the procurement, management and supervision of small-scale construction work
- Experience in Condition Assessment and repair/maintenance of flood risk and water level
- Experience with sustainable and environmentally sound construction techniques both
traditional and state of the art.
- Awareness of wetland conservation management and environmental practices.
- To have good negotiation, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- To be prepared to train and become competent in Sustainable Urban Drainage Techniques.
- Good command of English, both written and verbal to include précising skills.
- Experience in the use of Microsoft Office suite of applications.
In return we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- A competitive salary dependant on experience.
- A Local Government pension scheme.
- Generous Annual Leave.
For more information or to discuss the post further please send you CV and Covering Letter to
[email protected] or contact us on 01278 789906.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.