United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
Post Number : ED/PA 226
Grade : P-3
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Paris
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 3-DEC-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Duration of contract: 1 year with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The programme of Technology and Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Education within the Future of Learning and Innovation Team, Education Sector, aims to strengthen Member States’ efforts to leverage technological innovation to support the achievement of SDG 4 and enable the futures of learning. The main areas of work include national ICT in education policies, AI and education, open educational resources (OER) and digital learning, as well as normative work to help steer the use of emerging technology as a public good for education.
Technological innovation in education is one of the thematic priorities of the Education Sector in the UNESCO 41 C/4 Medium-Term Strategy (2022-2029) and the 42 C/5 Programme and Budget (2024-2025). The main expected outputs of the 41 C/4 and 42 C/5 on leveraging technological and digital innovations are to ensure more inclusive, effective and relevant learning through promoting public digital learning, developing AI competencies, and leveraging data and AI tools for learning.
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED), the guidance of the Director of the Future of Learning and Innovation Team (ED/FLI) and the direct supervision of the Chief of Unit for Technology and AI in Education (ED/FLI/ICT), the incumbent will coordinate the implementation of the regular programme and extra-budgetary projects in the field of digital learning and AI in education. More specifically, the incumbent will carry out the following tasks and responsibilities:
1. Background research and knowledge production
– Undertake background research in the field of digital learning and AI in education.
– Coordinate the planning and conceptualization of research proposals.
– Coordinate the review, research and drafting of technical reports.
– Coordinate the development of communication materials and/or tools for the promotion of the publications on digital learning and AI in education.
2. Coordination of project implementation
– Coordinate the planning, implementation and monitoring of projects and activities under the regular programme and extra-budgetary funds.
– Coordinate the planning and implementation of conferences and technical events.
3. Resource mobilization and partnership building
– Contribute to resource mobilization by drafting project proposals and communicating with donors and partners.
– Contribute to the building and maintenance of partnerships with internal entities, UN agencies and external partners.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
- Advanced university degree (Master or equivalent), preferably in the field of education, educational technology, or related fields.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant professional experience in areas related to digital learning or AI in education, including at least three (3) years implementing international projects.
- Experience in evidence-based educational research, policy reviews or data analysis.
- Experience in developing and disseminating knowledge products, including for policy-planning and capacity development purposes.
- Experience in networking with a range of partners, donors and other stakeholders.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Excellent analytical skills and knowledge of trends related to digital learning or AI in education.
- Ability to draft high-quality, clear and concise analyses, studies and reports.
- Ability to draft concept notes or project proposals.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a proven ability to maintain effective working relations within a multicultural environment and team.
- Demonstrated capacity to work under tight deadlines.
- Skills in using statistics software and digital tools to support research and data analysis.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
- Advanced university degree (equivalent to PhD) in information technology or related field.
- Experience working with international organizations or international non-governmental organizations.
- Experience mobilizing expert groups and advisory committees in education.
- Experience in successful resource mobilization, grant writing and fundraising.
- Experience in developing policy guidelines for digital learning or digital competency frameworks.
- Working knowledge (written and spoken) of French.
- Knowledge of another official UNESCO language (Arabic, Chinese, Russian and Spanish).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate annual starting salary for this post is 85,071 US $.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this internship posting.