The voice of our landscapes, conservation champions and lovers of all things outdoors, you’ll
help to keep the British countryside and coast wonderful. Working in some of the nation’s most
stunning places and spaces, come rain or shine, your love of the outdoors will inspire others
as you strive to ensure that landscapes are beautifully presented and continue to take our
visitors’ breath away.
You’ll be expected to work regular weekends and bank holidays as required.
What it’s like to work here
This vacancy is included in a trial of the ‘Disability Confident’ scheme (level
If you have a disability, and your qualities, skills and experience are a good fit with
the ‘Who we’re looking for’ section below, we will guarantee you either a telephone or face to
face interview. Please contact us at [email protected], when
you apply, to let us know, quoting the reference number for this vacancy.
It is an exciting time to be joining the Ranger team with projects planned and underway to
restore more areas of chalk grassland, manage our nationally significant collection of veteran
trees and restore PAWS sites to native broadleaf woodland, amongst others.
Ashridge Estate contains the largest area of woodland managed in-hand by the National Trust and
one of the largest expanses of chalk grassland in the Chilterns. We look after over 1000
veteran trees and associated nationally important saproxylic invertebrate population. Our chalk
grassland is home to rare species including Duke of Burgundy and Pasqueflower. In a relatively
built-up area of the country, this is a rare opportunity to make a positive impact on
large-scale conservation, across multiple land designations including SSSI, SAC and Grade II*
Click here for more information about
What you’ll be doing
You’ll help with the protection and care of habitats, wildlife and property, using a range of
machinery such as chainsaws, brushcutters and driving tractors. Working outdoors in all
weathers you’ll be involved in all aspects of our work including chalk grassland management,
scrub control, halo-thinning of veteran trees, and thinning of woodlands – often leading teams
of volunteers to help achieve these objectives. Driving a range of estate vehicles, you will
also help to maintain the estate infrastructure and extensive rights of way network including
installing and repairing fencing and waymarkers.
Your passion will inspire others to love this beautiful place as much as you do, ensuring that
visitors have a first-rate experience at Ashridge. You will have the opportunity to take
responsibility for small projects and you’ll need to be confident dealing with difficult
situations. You need to be numerate and have great written and verbal communication skills.
Please click apply to read the full role profile, attached to the advert.
Who we’re looking for
Our team believe that people deserve more than just ‘good service’, but an amazing experience
they’ll never forget, and we are looking for like-minded people to join us.
- Practical experience in land, conservation and access management in a woodland and
grassland context with a love for wildlife and nature conservation
- A willingness to work independently and take forward projects without supervision
- A proven track record of working with volunteers with experience of leading work parties
- Good people skills – the ability to build and maintain strong relationships internally with
colleagues, and externally
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in using a variety of machines including chainsaw (CS30/31 equivalent),
brushcutter, pedestrian mower, tractors and associated implements
- Practical estate management skills such as fencing, gate installation and maintaining site
- A full UK driving licence
The National Trust has the motto ‘For everyone, for ever’ at its heart. We’re working hard to
create an inclusive culture, where everyone feels they belong. It’s important that our people
reflect and represent the diversity of the communities and audiences we serve. We welcome and
value difference, so when we say we’re for everyone, we want everyone to be welcome in our
- Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
- Free entry to National Trust places for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- Tax free childcare scheme
- Rental deposit loan scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Perks at work discounts i.e. gym memberships, shopping discount codes, cinema discounts
- Holiday allowance up to 32 days relating to length of service, plus holiday purchase
scheme, subject to meeting minimum criteria.
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Employee assistance programme
- Free parking at most locations
- Independent financial advice
Click here to find out
more about the benefits we offer to support you.
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.