We’re responding to accelerating climate change across all areas of our business, designing out
waste and pollution, establishing a sustainable supply chain and switching to the use of
renewable resources. We’ve set ourselves tough energy reduction targets to reduce our fossil
fuel use as part of our commitment to achieve a net zero carbon position by 2030. Attached you
will find a case study which provides insight into the progress we have made so far.
We are looking for a Renewable Energy Project Manager to join our established Renewable Energy
programme which is leading the challenge of delivering low carbon technology in the Heritage
sector. We work in the most sensitive landscapes, within nationally treasured buildings,
installing cutting edge infrastructure to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels.
We are offering a starting salary of £43,407.00
What it’s like to work here
We’re bigger than you think, more complicated than we appear and we’re larger scale than you’d
We’ve got passionate people in all our teams, and we’ve got so much more we want to achieve.
We’re for ever, for everyone, and we really mean that.
You’ll be based at any of our South West hubs, we support hybrid working and are keen to agree
working arrangements which strike the right balance for you and the Trust. You will be required
to work at a National Trust location for 40-60% of your working week. This will be discussed in
more detail at interview. Regular travel will be required with occasional overnight stays with
travel expenses covered.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll be delivering low carbon heat projects at our South West properties using our project
management framework which is closely aligned with the APM process. You will lead all stages of
the project lifecycle for the delivery of heat pump systems (ground source, water source and
air source) and biomass heating systems.
You’ll ensure both internal and external stakeholders are motivated, well informed and that
proper provision is in place to deliver projects to time, quality and budget. Your
responsibility will run until the project is handed over to the property and the system is
operating as part of business as usual.
Who we’re looking for
You can view the full role profile for this role in the document on our website. You don’t need to
have all the knowledge, skills and experience listed in the role profile; this is just to
provide a full picture of what is possible in this role. We’d love to hear from you if you
- Project Manager or Project Engineer experience with good working knowledge of either:
- GSHP/WSHP/ASHP and/or biomass heating systems
- Heating system engineering in medium to large scale historic buildings
- Managing construction projects in historic buildings
- Degree level qualification in Renewable Energy Systems, Building Services or Construction
combined with experience of end to end project management including defining resources, leading
procurement, securing project teams and managing multiple projects.
- Professional project management qualification such as APM PMQ, MSP or PRINCE 2 or RICS
- Excellent written and verbal communication, problem solving and influencing skills to
confidently engage with all stakeholders from senior leaders to groundworkers; demonstrating
the ability to manage complex and contentious stakeholder relationships.
- Good contract management knowledge (e.g. NEC3 or JCT), solid understanding of CDM
regulations applicable to engineering and construction projectsand the confidence to positively
manage contractors and consultants to find innovative solutions to issues.
- Budget management experience of projects with contract values between £150,000 and
- An appreciation of the constraints, requirements, and sensitivities of working in listed /
heritage buildings, designated landscapes, and operational visitor attractions, including the
consenting and planning application process.
The National Trust has the motto ‘For everyone, for ever’ at its heart. We’re working hard to
create an inclusive culture, where everyone feels they belong. It’s important that our people
reflect and represent the diversity of the communities and audiences we serve. We welcome and
value difference, so when we say we’re for everyone, we want everyone to be welcome in our
- Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
- Free entry to National Trust places for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- Tax-free childcare scheme
- Rental deposit loan scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Perks at work discounts such as gym memberships, shopping discount codes, cinema discounts
- Holiday allowance up to 32 days relating to length of service, plus holiday purchase
scheme, subject to meeting minimum criteria.
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Employee assistance programme
- Free parking at most Trust places
- Independent financial advice
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.