University of Glasgow
You will contribute to a project Ultrasurge: Surgery enabled by ultrasonics working with Professor Margaret Lucas on the miniaturisation of ultrasonic surgical devices for integration with surgical robots. The successful candidate will also be expected to contribute to the formulation and submission of research publications and research proposals as well as help manage and direct this complex and challenging project as opportunities allow.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Perform the following activities in conjunction with and under the guidance of the Principal/Co Investigator:
1. Plan and conduct assigned research individually or jointly in accordance with the project deliverables and project/group/School/College research strategy.
2. Document research output including analysis and interpretation of all data, maintaining records and databases, drafting technical/progress reports and papers as appropriate.
3. Develop and enhance your research profile and reputation and that of The University of Glasgow/School/Research Group, including contributing to publications of international quality in high profile/quality refereed journals, enhancing the research impact in terms of economic/societal benefit, and gathering indicators of esteem.
4. Contribute to the presentation of work at international and national conferences, at internal and external seminars, colloquia and workshops to develop and enhance our research profile.
5. Contribute to the identification of potential funding sources and to assist in the development of proposals to secure funding from internal and external bodies to support future research.
6. Collaborate with colleagues and participate in team/ group/ meetings/ seminars/ workshops across the research Group/School/College/University and wider community.
7. Contribute to the organisation, supervision, mentoring and training of undergraduate and/or postgraduate students and less experienced members of the project team to ensure their effective development.
8. Perform administrative tasks related to the activities of the research group and School, including Budgets/Expenditure.
9. Carry out modest Teaching activities [e.g. demonstrating etc.] and associated admin as assigned by the Head of School and in consultation with Principal Investigator.
10. Keep up to date with current knowledge and recent advances in the field/discipline.
11. Engage in continuing professional development activities as appropriate.
12. Undertake any other reasonable duties as required by the Head of School/Director of Research Institute.
13. Contribute to the enhancement of the University’s international profile in line with the University’s Strategic Plan, World Changers Together.
Knowledge, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
Knowledge and Qualifications
A1 SCQF Level 10 [Honours degree] in a relevant subject or a cognate discipline, or equivalent
A2 Specialist theoretical and practical knowledge of ultrasonic devices and the modelling and characterisation of their dynamic behavior.
A3 A comprehensive and up-to-date knowledge of the wider subject area or subject specialism
B1 An awarded [or recently submitted or near completion] PhD in subject specialism or equivalent
C1 Project or subject specific skills include finite element analysis, experimental vibration characterisation techniques, device fabrication and testing in multiple materials and test-tank.
C2 Research creativity and cross-discipline collaborative ability as appropriate
C3 Excellent communication skills [oral and written], including public presentations and ability to communicate complex data/concepts clearly and concisely
C4 Excellent interpersonal skills including team working and a collegiate approach
C5 Appropriate workload/time/project/budget/people management skills
C6 Extensive IT and data analysis/interpretation skills as appropriate
C7 Self-motivation, initiative and independent thought/working
C8 Problem solving skills including a flexible and pragmatic appropriate
E1 Sufficient relevant research experience [or equivalent] appropriate to an early career researcher
E2 Project or subject specific experience
E3 Experience of scientific writing
E4 Proven ability to deliver quality outputs in a timely and efficient manner
E5 Evidence of an emerging track record of publications in a relevant field
Closing date: 30 September 2023
Terms and Conditions
Salary will be Grade 6, £32,332 – £36,024 per annum.
This post is full time, and has funding for up to 12 months
As part of Team UofG you will be a member of a world changing, inclusive community, which values ambition, excellence, integrity and curiosity.
As a valued member of our team, you can expect:
1 A warm welcoming and engaging organisational culture, where your talents are developed and nurtured, and success is celebrated and shared.
2 An excellent employment package with generous terms and conditions including 41 days of leave for full time staff, pension – pensions handbook https://www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/payandpensions/pensions/, benefits and discount packages.
3 A flexible approach to working.
4 A commitment to support your health and wellbeing, including a free 6-month UofG Sport membership for all new staff joining the University https://www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/staff/healthwellbeing/.
We believe that we can only reach our full potential through the talents of all. Equality, diversity and inclusion are at the heart of our values. Applications are particularly welcome from across our communities and in particular people from the Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) community, and other protected characteristics who are under-represented within the University. Read more on how the University promotes and embeds all aspects of equality and diversity within our community https://www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/humanresources/equalitydiversity/.
We endorse the principles of Athena Swan https://www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/humanresources/equalitydiversity/athenaswan/ and hold bronze, silver and gold awards across the University.
We are investing in our organisation, and we will invest in you too. Please visit our website https://www.gla.ac.uk/explore/jobs/ for more information.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.