UNIVERSITY OF SURREY
Location: Dalian, China
Salary: Competitive Salary
Post Type: Full Time
Closing Date: Monday 31 July 2023
Surrey International Institute in Dalian, China is seeking EAP teachers. This is an opportunity to join a dynamic and student-focussed team, develop your expertise, and work in a supportive and innovative International institute.
Dongbei University of Finance & Economics (DUFE), founded in 1952, is one of the leading universities in China in the areas of finance, economics, management and tourism.
Surrey International Institute (SII), located on a uniquely-positioned DUFE campus, is an academic partnership between DUFE in Dalian and the University of Surrey in the United Kingdom. Its growing Business Management Programme, Tourism Management Programme and Accounting and Finance Programme have an established international reputation.
NB: This appointment is not with the University of Surrey. While the role, as part of a highly international team of fellow academics, is to teach on the SII-DUFE EAP programmes, the appointment will be made by DUFE, and the successful candidate will be employed by DUFE.
- MA/PhD in TESOL or ELT or Applied Linguistics or recognized Diploma Level EFL qualification, for example DELTA (essential); CELTA and/or specific qualification in Teaching English for Academic purposes (Desirable).
- Experience in teaching at a recognized university or at a tertiary level is preferred.
- Lecturers should normally have three to five (at least two) years of teaching experience.
- Awareness of quality assurance processes in higher education.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, maintain effective communication with colleagues and use initiative to resolve problems or find information.
- An understanding of how effective pedagogy can enhance the student experience.
- Teaching experience in Asia or overseas is highly desirable.
Successful applicants will be given guidance on how to apply for a visa and work permit to meet the current regulations of the Chinese government.
- Our ideal candidate will have a good knowledge of EAP and ESAP, proven university teaching skills, along with relevant professional experience in the following areas:
- Developing new teaching methods that encourage positive interactions and overall student development.
- The ability to teach, at different times, on all of the CAES modules.
- Planning, delivering and critically reviewing a range of teaching and assessment activities appropriate to students’ levels.
- Setting and/or promptly marking coursework, practical sessions and examinations, and providing appropriate feedback to students in accordance with marking instructions.
- Offering regular consultation times in weekly office hours (two hours per week in term time) and other extra-curricular support for students seeking guidance on their subjects, advice on assessments or other related matters.
- Participating in peer classroom observations or other staff development initiatives aimed at improving quality. The University offers Continuous Professional Development (CPD) support to all its academic staff.
Successful applicants will join a diverse team of EAP Lecturers in SII’s Centre for Academic English Studies (CAES).
Students’ level: Undergraduate, year 1
Students’ number: 20-28 students / group
Calendar (Note: the calendar could be adjusted based on specific semester):
Fall Semester :20 wks, from September to middle of January
September: salaried but normally teaching-free due to students’ military training
First half of January: grading / grades submission / exams invigilation)
Winter break: 6 wks, from Second half of January to February
Spring Semester: 20 wks: from March to middle of July
First half of July: grading / grades submission / exams invigilations
Summer break: 6 wks, from second half of July to August
New Year’s Day in January; Tomb Sweeping Day in April; Labour Day in May; Dragon Boat Festival in June；Mid-Autumn Festival in September; National Holiday in October.
We are offering a very competitive salary package that matches those of the best universities in China.
The salary offered will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience, and the salary range will be from 200,000 rmb to 310,000 rmb annually. Please note that the tax rate in China is approximately 10%.
Expatriate benefits will be available to eligible applicants, such as a relocation allowance, housing allowance, medical insurance, medical allowance and allowance for personal laptop use.
Please read about the life and work in China on:
We recognise the diversity of the ELT profession. However, applicants are advised that in line with the current legislation in China Chinese HE institutions can normally recruit EAP lecturers who hold a nationality or a passport from an Anglophone country. Please check the weblink below to see the list. Please also note that due to local visa regulations, maximum age restrictions are likely to apply. Please contact us for more details.
To apply, please send your CV, a brief covering letter, the main page of your passport and two reference letters of former employers to [email protected] . Only the applicants who meet the selection criteria will receive a reply from us.
Applications will be processed on receipt until the post is filled
For further questions on the advertised positions, please contact:
Ms. Wang Linfei (Nina)
Surrey International Institute (SII)
Dongbei University of Finance and Economics (DUFE)
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.