The Purpose of the Role
The Proposal Writer will join a global BD team and will help drive IRC’s new business development efforts by engaging with global, regional, country, and technical staff throughout the business development cycle from opportunity tracking and positioning/capture planning to proposal development, and submission. The ideal candidate will have a successful track record of writing large-scale and complex technical narratives in sectors including health, education, peace building and system strengthening, women’s empowerment, and other humanitarian and development thematic areas. The successful candidate will have particular expertise writing for donors such as USAID and FCDO.
Key Working Relationships
Country Teams, Technical Units, Peer agencies, Local Partners
- Translates technical design notes and outlines into cohesive technical narrative for concept notes and proposals.
- Incorporates feedback from proposal reviewers and technical teams to produce new drafts of concept notes and proposals.
- Works collaboratively with proposal teams and bid leads to ensure all the information required to produce quality drafts is in hand.
- Reads reports, meeting notes, and other materials in order to write narrative content including staffing and management annexes, capability statements, and prior project references.
- Contributes to a library of text boxes and library of boiler plate language to drive efficiency in developing narratives.
- Ensures all drafts produced are aligned with donor requirements for formatting and language.
Skills, Knowledge and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, including international relations, political science, public administration, and communications.
- At least six years of focused experience writing proposals, particularly to FCDO and USAID. Additional experience writing contract proposals to USAID, FCDO, the World Bank, and others highly desirable.
- Experience writing for a variety of sectors, but health and education of particular interest.
- Complete fluency in English required with proficiency in one other language (French, Spanish, Arabic) highly desirable.
- High comfort level with deadline driven work.
- Strong ethos regarding managing intellectual property and knowledge management.
- Successful track record writing winning proposals over $5M in value.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively manage a variety of relationships in a multicultural environment
- Familiarity with Shipley proposal development model highly desirable
- Ability to travel internationally (up to 25% of time)
Posted pay ranges apply to US-based candidates. Ranges are based on various factors including the labor market, job type, internal equity, and budget. Exact offers are calibrated by work location, individual candidate experience and skills relative to the defined job requirements.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity:
IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
The IRC and IRC staff must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Global Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Equality and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti-Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days (depending on role and tenure), medical insurance starting at $145 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare, childcare, and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with up to 4.5% immediately vested matching contribution, plus a 3-7% base IRC contribution (3 year vesting), disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.