HCV Network Ltd
Job Description: Senior Quality Officer
About the HCV Network Secretariat
The HCV Network is a member-based organization that promotes the High Conservation Value (HCV)
Approach, a methodology to identify and protect ecosystems, biodiversity, and the needs of
indigenous peoples and local communities (IPLCs) where development takes place.
The Secretariat runs the Network’s day-to-day operations. It provides quality assurance,
learning opportunities, tools and guidance, and technical advice to ensure robust
implementation of the methodology in all ecosystems (land-based, aquatic), scales (from farms
and management units to landscapes and jurisdictions), and development contexts (forestry,
The Secretariat is hosted by HCV Network Ltd. a not-for-profit company registered in England
and Wales (company no. 9710578).
Our Quality Assurance work
The HCV Approach has several steps that users must follow, including identification,
management, and monitoring of High Conservation Values (HCVs). To ensure that the HCV Approach
is implemented rigorously by all users (including voluntary sustainability standards, producer
and supply chain companies, financial institutions, other), the HCV Network has a dedicated
Quality Assurance workstream.
Currently, Quality Assurance work largely focuses on ensuring robust identification of HCVs,
and identification of HCVs alongside High Carbon Stock (HCS) forests in high-risk developments
through a system called the Assessor Licensing Scheme (ALS).
The ALS conducts desk-based evaluations of reports produced by professionals licensed to lead
HCV or HCV-HCSA assessments. Evaluations are done by a Quality Panel and can have up to three
attempts to achieve a satisfactory mark. All evaluations are managed via Salesforce, an online
customer relationship management (CRM) solution.
Better Cotton, Rainforest Alliance, the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), and the High
Carbon Stock Approach (HCSA) Steering Group are examples of users of this system.
The HCV Network Secretariat is expanding its quality assurance services to ensure robust
application of the HCV Approach across a wider range of scales (large landscapes or
jurisdictions, farms, plantations, management units, smallholdings), ecosystems (from forests
to grasslands and aquatic systems) and productive systems.
About the role
The Secretariat is looking for a Senior Quality Officer. This is an exciting
opportunity to work with global voluntary sustainability standards, NGOs, producer and supply
chain companies and external partners and stakeholders.
Reports to: Quality Manager
- Evaluate HCV and HCV-HCSA assessment reports.
- Conduct HCV and HCV-HCSA Initial Checks.
- Process appeals to report evaluations led as Primary Reviewer.
- Participate in the design, implementation, and continuous improvement of quality assurance
procedures and processes and contribute to the overall growth and development of our quality
assurance services offering.
- Contribute to the update of technical documentation.
- Support the Quality Manager with overall system management (for example: CRM platform
improvements, contracting Quality Panel members, and processing report submissions and
- Fluency in English and at least one of these other languages: Bahasa Indonesia, Spanish,
- Tertiary level (masters or equivalent) qualification in a relevant discipline (e.g.,
natural resources management, conservation, agriculture, forestry, or social sciences).
- Experience and/or knowledge related to sustainability standards, auditing, and
certification, in the context of natural resource management (mainly in forestry, agriculture,
- Previous experience or knowledge of the HCV and HCS Approaches, and Free Prior and Informed
- Experience with GIS, remote sensing, and/or other mapping tools.
- A minimum of 3 years’ relevant work experience.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a global team that is connected remotely.
- Excellent project management skills including excellent time-management, problem-solving
and organizational abilities.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Highly developed interpersonal and team working skills, as well as proven ability to
operate in a multi-cultural environment.
- Experience in handling confidential information.
- Excellent understanding of environmental and social sustainability issues affecting the
forestry and agricultural commodities sectors.
- Experience in using Microsoft Office (Teams, Outlook, other).
- Experience with Salesforce and/or other CRM systems, cloud-based systems, and other IT.
- Experience in attending international conferences and public presentations.
- Experience in consultation and working with various stakeholders including large companies,
small and medium enterprises, NGOs, financing institutions, government agencies, smallholders,
and local communities.
Location: Global (remote work).
Hours of work: Full-time (8 hours per day, 5 days per week).
Employer: HCV Network Ltd.
Contract type: 1-year contract (3-month probation period), with possibility to become permanent based on
Salary: Commensurate with skills and experience.
How to apply?
Please send a 1-page cover letter explaining your suitability for the position
and your CV in English to [email protected] by Wednesday, March
15th, 2023. Applications that do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.