King's College London
Job id: 067448. Salary: £35,502 – £40,333 per annum, including London Weighting Allowance.
Posted: 17 May 2023. Closing date: 14 June 2023.
Business unit: Faculty of Life Sciences & Medicine. Department: Immunology & Microbial Sci School Office.
Contact details:Celine Trouillet. [email protected]
Location: Guy’s Campus. Category: Professional & Support Services.
The post holder is a member of the School’s Professional Services team split across 3 locations at Guy’s Campus, providing high quality technical support to the School and specific support to its education/ research activities. The post-holder will mainly be on Campus in-person.
The post holder will:
- Provide in-depth knowledge of technical or scientific practices, methods and procedures gained through experience and/or formal qualification.
- Be responsible for the delivery and day-to-day management of a range of technical services, ensuring an efficient use of resources.
- Engage in Continuing Professional Development and training initiatives, in line with the Technician Commitment and Research Concordat for a minimum of 10 days pro rata per year.
- Supervise the installation, maintenance and security of equipment, systems, and software, with control over service budgets, stocks/stores equipment and supplies.
- Manage own workload, pattern of work and resources based on an agreed work plan.
- Be responsive to changing priorities and an evolving environment/context, maximising the efficiency of the technical support being provided.
- Use a systematic and timely approach to solve problems that have an impact of up to a year making decisions independently using agreed guidelines.
- Use well-developed analytical skills to identify trends and patterns, using appropriate techniques and procedures to inform decisions.
- Represent the service within and beyond King’s.
- Forge relationships with colleagues in the university and externally, to build relationships, disseminate and get information, coordinate, and deliver the service.
- Provide advice/ guidance and, where appropriate, training.
- Communicate complex information in a clear and precise way, both orally and in writing.
- Adapt local procedures to improve the service to meet the needs of the users.
- Demonstrate leadership and innovation in the implementation of environmentally sustainable practices, recording progress through the King’s sustainability audit process and sharing good practice. Nurture and encourage sustainable practices and leadership within your team and networks.
- Be responsible for the compliance with relevant regulations governing the service, completing risk assessments to inform actions and ensure a safe and environmentally sustainable workplace.
- Report accidents/ incidents and participate in accident investigations where appropriate.
- Facilitate an inclusive culture and ethos working with academic, research and other professional services staff and colleagues external to King’s.
- Actively engage in the King’s Technical Network, building a network across the Faculty to provide peer support and opportunities to share best practice.
- Participate in cross-School/ Faculty/ university projects and initiatives for up to 10% FTE.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract.
This is a full-time post – 100% full time equivalent.
- To provide a comprehensive technical support service for the 2nd/3rd Floor Borough Wing (Primary location) and across the school, to support the daily operations associated with the School’s Research activities, working closely with the School Leadership Team and the School Technical Manager (Although the role may be allocated to a Primary location, please be advise that you will be expected to work across the SIMS estate – on various Campuses, as and when required).
To be the cover for Emergency contact for the Floor (Security/H&S FoLSM).
To have overall responsibility for all inductions for the floor and providing cover for the School, as necessary.
Local safety supervisor (LSS).
Radiation Protection Supervisor (RPS).
HTA Person Designated – for the floor (PD HTA).
To have overall responsibility for the delivery and management of Liquid Nitrogen / Co2 into the floor.
To provide cover for the other School technical professional services employee within the School.
- To support the School Technical Manager, School Manager and Head of School in providing operational leadership for technical staff within the School.
- To support the School Technical Manager in coordinating the School’s compliance with all regulations and guidelines for Health and Safety, ensuring that all relevant safety related Posts are filled.
- To support the wider School Leadership Team in fostering a stimulating, innovative and inclusive cultural environment across the School enabling students and staff to thrive and develop, ensuring that technical staff experiences are actively considered and represented in the ongoing development and implementation of the diversity and inclusion agenda.
- To forge relationships with colleagues in the School, Faculty, and university, to contribute to process development and adoption of best practice.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
**Essential criteria **
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.