Imperial College London
Are you ready for your next challenge in a fast-paced environment? If so, we have an opportunity for you to join the Campus Services Division at an internationally renowned university as a Special Projects and Sustainability Manager.
The role will support the Head of Special Projects and Strategic Change and will be responsible for two interconnected and prominent areas within Campus Services: project development/delivery and sustainability. On projects, they will support in developing cross-departmental project plans, ensuring key milestones and objectives are met, and delivering projects at pace and according to operational demand. The post holder will contribute to the delivery and implementation of strategic change projects within Campus Services to ensure Divisional business objectives are met. This is a key role within a small project team that directly supports the Director of Campus Services and works very closely with all Heads of Departments, their management teams and other key internal and external stakeholders.
The post holder will be responsible for providing a range of project management tasks and producing high level project documentation, reports for Boards and presentations. They will lead on some stand-alone projects where assigned and deputise in the absence of the Head of Special Projects and Strategic Change.
With ever increasing prominence being placed on the role Campus Services can play in supporting the implementation of Imperial’s Sustainability Strategy 2021-2026, the post holder will work with staff and students across the College, from our word-leading sustainability research institutes to key operational staff, to help create and nurture a sustainability culture within Campus Services where sustainability is embedded in all our day-to-day operations. This will include developing a pipeline of sustainability projects/initiatives that align with operational needs and those of the wider College sustainability teams.
Duties and responsibilities
- To support, and in some instances, lead various special projects associated with key areas of the Division
- To support the Head of Special Projects and Strategic Change with the planning and delivery of all aspects of projects, and at varying scales establishing resources, setting out plans, achieving objectives/outputs on time and within expectations
- To act in a responsive and agile way that enables the post holder to respond to daily operational needs and challenges as they occur and whilst undertaking a range of project and Senior Management support tasks
- Responsible for updating Management teams on their related projects when requested and providing key project support at short notice
- To work with key College partners to develop robust project plans/deliverables and ensure project aims meet expectations of all parties involved a to provide detailed analysis and summary reports
- To work autonomously and manage some projects independently, producing business cases, presentations, and other analysis
- Utilise and apply modern, up to date project techniques/methodologies (like PRINCE and Operational Excellence) to maximise successful outcomes
- Act as Divisional lead and advocate on all strands of sustainability activity within Departments, and to co-ordinate and contribute to these various work streams
- Take responsibility for consistently monitoring achievements against the Campus Services Sustainability Pillar in the 5 Year Strategy and where necessary, acting as the catalyst to ensure such work progresses within Departments
- To understand and convey Campus Services contribution to the College’s wider Sustainability Strategy implementation and represent the Division at related meetings/events
- Work closely with key College teams, such as Estates Operations, Faculty leaders and the Academic Leader in Sustainability to formulate and develop strategic proposals for approval by the Sustainability Strategy Committee
- Work with Campus Services senior management and the Health & Safety Compliance Manager to ensure Divisional standards meet sustainability requirements
- A degree (or overseas equivalent) and / or a relevant professional qualification relating to the work of this post
- Proven experience in coordinating and completing multiple projects alongside each other, and the flexibility to respond effectively to changing demands and priorities
- Contributing to and supporting project change within an organisation
- Strong, evidenced experience in collating and analysing complex information and data from different sources, and applying it in high-level reports and reviews
- A good understanding of planning and assisting with the delivery and implementation of a variety of projects, both operational and strategic
- Line Management experience
- Experience of establishing data collection methods and analysing and interpreting data
- Experience of working in a sustainability-related area or industry, preferably within HE
- Thorough understanding of the operational services within an HE organisation
- Up to date knowledge of sustainability issues, climate change and mitigation
- A high degree of computer literacy, particularly detailed understanding and demonstrable experience of Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel
- Excellent emotional intelligence and person-management skills with the ability to interact and build long-lasting effective working relationships with a broad range of stakeholders and colleagues across the College
- Proven ability to manage a diverse and challenging workload without supervision
Professional Services, Grade 4
£51,115 – £61,549
Permanent / Full Time
The standard working week consists of 35 hours, but will require a flexible approach to working, including occasional evenings and weekends and able to work at any College location, as reasonably required.
In addition to your competitive salary, other benefits offered by the College include:
• Career development training
• Generous holiday allowances
• A company pension scheme
• A reduced rate in our sports centre
• Interest free season ticket/cycle loan schemes
If you are looking for the next stage in your career, you could be just the person we’re looking for. Please apply now!
Closing date: Midnight on Wednesday, 31 May 2023
For further information, please contact Karl Scholfield, Head of Special Projects and Strategic Change by email on [email protected]
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.