The Rivers Trust
The Rivers Trust is a leading environmental charity and the umbrella body of The Rivers
Trust movement, comprising over 60 independent local charities. Our vision is for wild,
healthy, natural rivers, valued by all. We are at a critical point in our history as we expand
to deliver projects to protect and replenish this critical part of the natural environment, and
our research and expertise is now needed more urgently than ever as water supply and quality
move up the public agenda.
This is a pivotal position, the first of its kind, focusing on our complex programmes of work
which need to engage a wide range of stakeholders ranging from Government and policy, water
companies, consultancies and finance sector, eNGOs, local partnerships and volunteers. To
provide Stakeholder Engagement support to the Ofwat Innovation Funded 1) Mainstreaming
Nature-based Solutions (MNbS) and 2) Catchment Systems Thinking Cooperative (CaSTCo) Projects.
You’ll be supported by the existing Rivers Trust Communications and Advocacy, and Project
Management teams for the two projects, who are home based across the UK and Republic
Coordinate external stakeholder engagement across the MNbS and CaSTCo programmes. Prepare the
stakeholder engagement plan to the specification of the project and programme management teams
and RT executive team, and coordinate its delivery with project partners and the RT executive
Whilst environmental and freshwater knowledge and experience would be desirable, we are looking
for someone who can provide professional and effective stakeholder engagement coordination, to
ensure efficiency in realising our projects’ objectives in line with our charitable
This is an exciting opportunity to join a welcoming team within a thriving movement, and to
make a meaningful personal contribution to environmental protection and improvement.
It’s a home-based role, though the job holder will be required to travel within the
UK. We offer flexibility around working hours – time off in lieu is also available. We
are happy to make adjustments for people with disabilities and/or caring responsibilities, and
we welcome applications from all communities, backgrounds and other circumstances.
We offer 25 days holiday pro rata (rising to 28 days) plus statutory holiday days. The post
holder will be part of a growing Communications and Advocacy team reporting to our
Communications and Advocacy Director and supported by our Project Management Office based
across Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The role will involve working closely with the
projects leads including the Project Sponsor and CEO of The Rivers Trust.
The successful candidate will need to be based in and have the right to work in the United
Key responsibilities include:
- Support development of stakeholder engagement plans across the MNbS and CaSTCo programmes
for external stakeholders – recognising the specific engagement needs of different stakeholder
groups and alignment possible across the programmes of work.
- Coordinate stakeholder engagement initiatives that promote the programmes objectives, work,
deliver engaging messages, help secure partnerships and enhance stakeholder relationships.
- Work closely with the executive team – CEO, Programme Sponsor (Director of Strategic
Development and Stewardship) and Director of Communications and Advocacy to support key
engagement at the highest level across the programmes.
- Prepare and support workshops, roundtables and forums for stakeholders.
- Coordinate regular updates to stakeholders through agreed communications channels in
collaboration with comms teams.
- Work closely with RT and programme comms teams to procure communications support for
engagement materials, across the project partners.
- Support establishing transformational communications messaging across the project partners.
- Develop a stakeholder engagement database and ensure all contact and feedback is logged and
analysed for sentiment tracking.
- Ensure stakeholder responses and requests are communicated to technical teams, for
information and action.
- Work closely with programme and project managers to ensure the engagement plan is meeting
the programme objectives.
- Coordinate with regional stakeholder managers across the programme.
- Support regional and local stakeholder manager/s to build positive working relationships
with key stakeholder cohorts including; statutory and non-statutory organisations, local &
Central Government, MP’s, environmental bodies, industry & community groups, businesses and
other affected parties.
- Work collaboratively with all project team members.
- Following all Rivers Trust policies including on Health & Safety, EDI, IT, and GDPR.
- Contributing to a respectful and inclusive working culture.
- Programme funder – Ofwat. Lead partner – United Utilities.
- Programme engagement executives – Rivers Trust CEO (Mark Lloyd), Programme Sponsor (Amina
- Reporting to: Rivers Trust Director of Comms and Advocacy (Tessa Wardley).
- Programme partners – Jacobs (programme managers for MNbS), Mott MacDonald (project managers
for MNbS), consultants, contractors, water companies, Ofwat and EA, finance partners and local
delivery organisations (e.g. local Rivers Trusts).
- Programme Regional stakeholder managers as well as local communicators and connector roles
(Local Rivers Trusts and other organisations/partnerships).
- External stakeholder groups – Government departments (Defra), landowners, environmental
NGOs, academic and research institutions, and local and national government bodies.
- Programme Comms leads – Rivers Trust (and core programme teams United Utilities, Jacobs and
The salary for the job will fall in the range of £33,000-£35,000 per year.
To apply, please send your CV and show how you meet the following criteria:
- The ability to develop and support significant relationships with a wide range of
stakeholders (e.g. environmental NGO’s, consultants, contractors, water companies, academic and
research institutions, and local and national government bodies.)
- Proven ability to collaborate on cross-functional teams while working remotely.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Designing and executing cross-partner and cross-sector stakeholder engagement.
- An understanding of EDI and how it relates to a role engaging different stakeholder groups
under-represented in the sector.
- Experience working closely with programme delivery teams to support and advise key
stakeholders across different levels of governance.
- Experience in Stakeholder Relations at national, regional and local levels.
- Effective communication skills to coordinate senior stakeholders’ meetings and
- Demonstrate a high level of engagement skills in written and oral form.
- Highly organised with experience of maintaining accurate records of stakeholder engagement
and sentiment tracking.
- Experience of working collaboratively with others at the local and regional level.
- Planning and delivery of workshops, roundtables, meetings and focus groups.
- Experience in determining key issues, how they relate to the relevant stakeholder partners
or communities and what mitigation measures can be implemented to reduce the impacts.
Desirables but not essential, only include these if you have them:
- Stakeholder Engagement qualifications.
- Project management experience.
- Knowledge of Nature-based Solutions in river environments.
- Knowledge of impacts of climate change and mitigation measures.
- Experience working with corporate partners.
If you have any questions which aren’t answered on our website or on the Recruitment FAQ,
please contact [email protected] – please don’t use this email address to apply
as we can only accept applications made through this system.
Closing date: Monday 27 November 2023
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.