4 Nov 2023
- Renaissance Fusion
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
- Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
- 1 Feb 2024 – 23:00 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- To be defined
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- To be defined
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
- Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Renaissance Fusion is the first Magnetic Confinement Fusion company in the EU, with the goal of solving the hardest and most rewarding energy problem: bringing fusion power to the grid. We are building the first net-energy producing stellarator by combining proprietary innovations in modular design, the manufacturing of next-generation High-Temperature Superconducting magnets, and liquid metal walls. We are forming a team of the brightest, most driven scientists and engineers to realize this mission within 10 years.
Specifically, we are looking for a talented computational physicist, applied mathematician or programmer to design the stellarator coil winding surface. As a member of the Science team the candidate will work closely with the coil computational physicist and with the equilibrium, transport, and stability teams to ensure the designed field meets the physics-imposed criteria. In addition, he/she will interact with the engineers to understand the manufacturing constraints.
Your main responsibilities will be:
Individual research responsibilities
- Design the stellarator coil winding surface in a flexible computational framework.
- Optimize the coil winding surface for accurate reproduction of a target plasma magnetic field, minimum Laplace forces, as well as current simplicity.
- Leverage on the latest advances in artificial intelligence, and computational hardware (for example GPU based High-Performance computing architectures).
- Stay up to date with the latest academic advances, initiate and maintain collaborations with the academic community, present results at conferences.
- Respond in an agile and proactive way to changes in constraints and design;
- Assist as needed on the coil design for non-fusion spin-offs.
Responsibilities as a team member
- Interact with the engineering division to ensure that the coil winding surface sustaining the coils satisfies the hard limits and maximizes performance from a material, mechanical, technological and economic standpoint.
- Interact with the equilibrium, transport and physics groups to ensure that the design maximises physically desirable properties.
- Work with the equilibrium and coil computational physicist in the development and implementation of a combined plasma and coil optimization.
- Interface the design framework with the analysis tools of the computational and physics departments, so that physics properties of any coil winding surface can rapidly be analyzed.
- Collaborate with the Mathematics and Computational departments to create, optimize, accelerate and deploy constrained optimization algorithms.
You are the ideal profile if:
*Education and professional experience
- PhD in physics, mathematics or mathematical physics.
- Excellent programming skills in modern programming languages (Python, C++).
- Experience in scientific computing and in developing novel algorithms.
- Experience with modern coding practices; continuous integration, version control (git).
- Excellent mathematical skills and strong gasp of differential geometry.
- Fluent in English (C1)
- Excellent understanding of plasma physics and electromagnetic theory.
- Experience in stellarator design and optimization.
- Experience in FORTRAN; familiarity with the REGCOIL algorithm.
- Solid publication record in stellarator optimization.
- Number of offers available
- Renaissance Fusion
Where to apply
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.