PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
Overview of the role:
The purpose of this role is to provide targeted
technical support to ZSL’s work on combatting the illegal trade in wildlife, and efforts that seek
to promote sustainable, traceable, and legal use. The post-holder will work in close collaboration
with staff in ZSL’s country programmes and in the UK, and especially the law enforcement advisor
and the programme lead for aquatic species and policy. The role will involve a significant amount
of co-ordination with partners working on wildlife trade projects throughout Asia and Africa, in
particular. The post holder will be responsible for maintaining a particularly close working
relationship with the Chair/Co-Chairs of the IUCN SSC Pangolin Specialist Group (PSG) and
Freshwater Eel Specialist Group (FESG), which ZSL hosts.
- Provide technical expertise and input on designing, implementing, and monitoring
conservation projects that aim to address the illegal trade in wildlife and/or support the
legal, traceable, and sustainable use of wildlife.
- Identify and pursue opportunities for collaboration, networking and information exchange
between programmes and partners, especially in support of ZSL work on specific taxa, with a
particular focus on pangolins, but also sharks and rays, freshwater eels, herps, timber trees,
and other species.
- Work with country teams to develop and draft grant applications and proposals in line with
ZSL strategy, as well as on the regular reporting of projects with donors.
- Oversee the monitoring and evaluation aspects of ZSL’s wildlife trade-related work,
ensuring our activities are being efficiently tracked and outcomes appropriately reported, in
close coordination with the Project, Design and Implementation team.
- Work with country programmes to collate, interrogate, analyse, and synthesize project
results, and to format and present results to national agencies and decision-makers.
- Communicate ZSL’s conservation work in the wildlife trade and sustainable use space through
relevant channels, both internally and externally.
- Support capacity- and skills-building efforts within ZSL regional programmes and partner
organisations on approaches to addressing the illegal wildlife trade and sustainable use of
- Represent ZSL and engage with various external stakeholder groups (e.g., media, general
public, researchers, conservationists, zoo visitors, policymakers) to increase awareness and
generate support for ZSL, and our partners’, efforts to address issues relating to wildlife
- Support ZSL policy engagement on matters relating to wildlife trade, including in
international fora (such as CITES)
- Work closely with the Chairs/co-chairs of the FESG and PSG, to achieve strategic aims of
groups, including: development of position statements and implementation of specific projects;
representing group interests nationally and internationally; provision of technical advice; and
managing group finances.
- A post-graduate degree in a relevant subject;
- Demonstrated experience working on wildlife trade-related topics or issues with a species
- Experience with project design, including with developing theories of change, and with
fundraising, proposal writing, and donor reporting;
- A robust understanding of international biodiversity conservation issues, in particular
those relating to wildlife trade and sustainable use;
- In-depth knowledge of different approaches to preventing and combatting the illegal
- Strong organisational skills with an ability to manage competing priorities;
- Excellent written and spoken English;
- Skills in quantitative statistical analysis;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with an ability to work in different cultural settings with
tact and diplomacy
- Proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively with multiple stakeholders;
We strongly encourage applications from all backgrounds and celebrate the value of having a
team of employees with diverse skills, experiences, and heritage. We are committed to ensuring
our teams can bring their authentic selves to work without fear of discrimination. ZSL has
active equality networks for our staff with lived experience and those who provide active
allyship in Race and Culture, Team Pride, Disability Network, and Menopause Network,
complemented by our strategic EDI Steering Group.
We’re ZSL, an international conservation charity. Through our unrivalled animal experts in our
two zoos (London Zoo and Whipsnade Zoo), the work of our pioneering scientists, our dedicated
conservationists, our purpose is to inspire, inform and empower people to stop wild animals
going extinct. Our vision is a world where wildlife thrives and we’re working every day to
achieve this. From investigating the health threats facing animals, to helping people and
wildlife live alongside each other, we are committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink
What do we offer?
At ZSL, we are proud of our approach to employee benefits. Our benefits include:
- Our vision and purpose – you’ll work alongside colleagues who are passionate about
science-led conservation, knowing that you will help us to inspire, inform and empower people
to stop wildlife going extinct
- Pension scheme - we offer a generous pension scheme with up to 12% contributory pension
- Flexible working – talk to us about your flexible working requirements and we will do
everything we can to make sure you work in a way that suits you
- Holidays – 25 days annual leave allowance, plus UK bank holidays
- Wellbeing – access to a blended programme of wellbeing initiatives, including confidential
access to our 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme
- Life assurance – eligible employees will be enrolled in ZSL’s life assurance scheme from
their first day
- Complimentary tickets – annual allocation of Whipsnade Zoo and London Zoo tickets, with a
30% discount in online and retail shops
- Cycle2Work – our cycle to work scheme enables you to lease a bicycle
- Season ticket loan – we offer an interest free loan for eligibly London-based employees to
buy a season ticket for travel between home and work
- Family friendly policies – we offer enhanced maternity, paternity, and adoption packages
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.