4 Nov 2023
- Renaissance Fusion
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
- Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
- 1 Jan 2024 – 23:00 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- To be defined
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- To be defined
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
- Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Renaissance Fusion is the first Magnetic Confinement Fusion company in the EU. We are building the first net-energy producing stellarator by combining proprietary innovations in modular design, the manufacturing of next-generation High-Temperature Superconducting (HTS) magnets, and liquid walls. We are forming a team of the brightest, most driven scientists and engineers to realize and commercialize our non-fusion HTS magnets within 2 years, and fusion magnets and integrated fusion solutions within 10 years.
We are looking for a resourceful, exceptionally skilled vacuum technical engineer, with a problem-solving mindset to design, build, experimentally optimize, operate, and maintain Renaissance Fusion’s vacuum systems. This is a multi-disciplinary job within the Magnets, Vacuum and Cryogenics department, addressing company-wide vacuum needs from High Temperature Superconducting (HTS) film deposition machines to liquid metal experiments and ultimately to stellarator experimental devices and power plants.
Your main responsibilities will be:
Design and analysis
- Design, construct, test, trouble-shoot, maintain and continuously improve vacuum solutions to meet process engineers’ specifications for thin film deposition.
- Verify the compliance of vacuum systems and components with HTS industry standards and with Renaissance Fusion’s specifications.
- Perform detailed analysis of pumping characteristics and efficiency for HTS film deposition machines, liquid metal experiments and stellarator experimental devices and power plants.
- Work with vendors to identify and modify vacuum components for ultra-high vacuum, special vapors and liquid metals, and special geometries.
- Work closely with the RF teams to understand the multi-disciplinary requirements of the project (chemical, electric, magnetic, thermal etc.) project and adapt the vacuum system accordingly.
- Realize CAD designs and develop technical specification documents.
- Propose technical solutions for components, materials, welding techniques, sealing systems, instrumentation, required qualification work and fabrication/assembly techniques.
- Participate to the selection of the subcontractors and monitor costs and schedule with internal project professionals (controllers, schedulers, assistants etc.). Work closely with external contractors, periodically visit their facilities, monitor the advancement of the contract, advise and participate in joint tests.
- Play a key role in the assembly of under-vacuum experiments, such as installing vacuum components on vacuum chambers.
- Perform vacuum tests of in-sourced and out-sourced components, alone or in collaboration with colleagues. Confirm that sub-assemblies and systems meet the vacuum objectives agreed with colleagues.
You are the ideal profile if:
*Education and professional experience
- Bachelor’s and/or master’s degree in mechanical engineering, applied physics or related field.
- 3+ years of hands-on professional experience in vacuum technology.
- 3+ years professional experience in setting specifications, installing and operating large, complex vacuum systems under demanding conditions. Familiarity with all typical vacuum components, including pumps, valves, seals, gaskets, diagnostics, and control systems. Here “demanding” refers to chemical, mechanical, nuclear and thermal conditions.
- Fluent in English (C1)
- 1+ year industrial experience in vacuum systems for semiconductors and/or superconductors.
- 1+ year R&D experience in vacuum systems for fusion research, particle accelerators or other large facilities.
- Previous experience with systems containing liquid-vacuum interfaces.
- Competence with SolidWorks or ANSYS or COMSOL or other computational software.
- Number of offers available
- Renaissance Fusion
Where to apply
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.