Here’s an exciting chance to contribute to the conservation of the High Weald’s heathland and
woodland nature reserves, including Broadwater Warren, Tudeley Woods, Fore Wood, and Rowlands
Broadwater Warren was a commercial forestry plantation purchased by the RSPB in 2007. Since
then, we have restored approximately 85ha of the site to its former glory as an open heathland,
with a further 100ha retained as woodland, which is being restored to native broadleaf.
Tudeley Woods is a 297-ha ancient woodland site comprised of high forest, coppiced woodland,
wildflower meadows and open heathland.
Fore Wood is a 56-ha ancient woodland site with a rich history of woodland management dating
back to the Roman period.
The sites support a wide range of heathland and woodland birds, including; Dartford warbler,
nightjar, woodlark, tree pipit, lesser-spotted woodpecker and spotted flycatcher. The reserves
are also particularly rich in butterflies, dragonflies & damselflies, flora and fungi.
The successful applicant will be responsible for implementing the reserve management plans
alongside the warden. This will include all aspects of habitat management, estate maintenance,
species surveying and leading volunteer work parties across the reserves. Good interpersonal
skills and a strong work ethic will be required to help lead our team of over 100 active
Key areas of work will include:
- Maintenance of estate infrastructure
- Habitat management as defined by the reserve’s management plan and agri-environment
- Maintenance of tools and machinery
- Monitoring of critical species and habitats
- Planning and leading volunteer work parties
- Assist with management and welfare of the reserve livestock
- Assist with ensuring legal compliance of conservation & land management operations
- Assist with the supervision of contractors
- Plan and implement small projects
- Collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders
- General administration and report writing.
Essential knowledge, skills and experience:
- Knowledge and experience of heathland management
- Knowledge and experience of woodland management
- Experience of managing and leading volunteers
- Experience in managing and leading conservation work parties
- Knowledge of livestock management
- Experience and qualifications in chainsaw use.
- Experience and qualification in brushcutter use.
- Experience and knowledge of surveys and biological monitoring
- Experience in undertaking practical tasks and infrastructure maintenance
- Experience in the safe operation and maintenance of machinery, tools and equipment
- 1st aid qualification
- Good interpersonal skills
- Experience in practical problem solving and using high levels of initiative
- Full UK driving licence or able to access remote locations.
Desirable knowledge, skills and experience:
- Clearing saw qualification
- Training and experience in 4 x 4 off road driving
- Experience implementing risk assessments and updating health and safety records
- Experience in report writing
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 30th June. For further information
please contact [email protected].
As part of this application process you will be asked to complete an application form including
evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
We are committed to developing an inclusive and diverse RSPB, in which everyone
feels supported, valued, and able to be their full selves. To achieve our vision of creating a
world richer in nature, we need more people on nature’s side and more diverse people. People of
colour and disabled people are underrepresented across the environment, climate,
sustainability, and conservation sectors. If you identify as a person of colour and/or
disabled, we are particularly interested in receiving your application. Contact us to discuss
any additional support you may need to complete your application.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of
Offenders Act 1974.
This role is not eligible for UK Visa Sponsorship – the successful applicant will need to have
a pre-existing Right to Work in the UK to be offered an employment contract.
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.