Manx BirdLife is the independent Isle of Man nature conservation charity
working to protect and enhance the Island’s wild bird populations and the habitats on which
We are seeking a proven, highly motivated manager with a professional background in ecology, a
track record in nature conservation, and with an expertise in ornithology. It’s an exciting
opportunity to manage and develop this small but effective conservation body.
As COO, you’ll be responsible for all aspects of the day-to-day running of the charity:
- Leading and developing the team;
- Championing and delivering the organisation’s charitable objectives;
- Managing the business;
- Reporting directly to the Board on all matters.
- Oversee planning and delivery of our Education Programme and Point of Ayre National
- Be responsible for fundraising, financial control, programme planning, research and
monitoring, data and database administration, environmental and planning consultation;
- Act as principal point of liaison with Government officials/politicians, as well our
partners, sponsors, suppliers and the media; and as our ambassador to the Island’s community;
- Be the responsible officer for health & safety, data protection, safeguarding and
What we expect you to bring
- The persona to sell the vision of a diverse and secure Manx avifauna;
- Experience of business management, ideally in the not-for-profit sector including
fundraising and volunteer management;
- Ecological skills, especially ornithological expertise;
- Ability to nurture a small but effective team;
- Strategic thinking and problem-solving skills, with an aptitude to get involved in
- Excellent organisational and project management skills;
- Proven experience of database management;
- Working knowledge of health & safety, data protection, safeguarding, charity &
- Ability to work under own initiative whilst supporting the team;
- Flexibility to work evenings/weekends as required (taking TOIL as appropriate);
- Your own transport for travelling meetings and outdoor sites.
We’ll expect you to share our vision of a thriving Manx avifauna and its benefits to the
Island’s community and visitors. We’ll expect you to challenge the status quo while upholding
the highest professional standards.
- Full-time, permanent role (with six-month probationary period);
- Salary from £40,000 p.a., subject to qualifications/experience.
Please email in confidence a summary CV, with covering letter explaining your interest in this
role, to [email protected] marked for ‘Attn Mr William Edward Teare’.
Closing date for initial expressions of interest
Friday 24th March 2023.
Dates on hold for first interviews are 28th, 29th, 30th March and 3rd, 4th April 2023
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.