University of Glasgow
The Graduate Trainee Accountant will develop skills and experience through supporting the delivery of a high-quality, professional and effective accounting service across the University Group.
This will primarily include placements with the Financial Reporting and Tax teams to support the preparation of audited statutory financial statements and submission of local and international tax returns. The role-holder will also gain wider experience by performing duties across the teams dealing with Financial Controls, Compliance, Insurance, and Treasury functions.
This is a development role which will require the role holder to commit to study for and attain a professional accounting qualification (ACCA). The University will fund a study package for these exams and study leave of 2.5 days per exam. The experience gained during placements in the above teams will enable the role-holder to gain satisfactory work experience in support of their attainment of the ACCA qualification at the end of year 3.
The main duties and responsibilities in the first year of the development programme will include, but are not limited to, the items set out below.
Upon satisfactory completion of each placement and satisfactory progression through each stage of the ACCA exams, the role-holder will be expected to take on increased responsibility through involvement in more complex and technical areas.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. Support the Financial Reporting Team
• Assist with routine financial control tasks such as reporting on the status of balance sheet reconciliations across the full balance sheet
• Provide support for month end tasks including but not limited to preparation of balance sheet reconciliations, maintenance of the fixed asset register for the University and accounting for endowment funds
• Develop knowledge of the financial reporting standards that need to be applied in the financial statements of the University and its subsidiaries
• Provide support for year-end financial reporting and audit process including gathering data by running reports using Agresso and other University systems and issuing requests to colleagues in finance and across the University
• Manipulate data gathered using Excel to assist with preparation of statutory accounts and other returns including but not limited to OSCR and National Statistics
• Additional and ad hoc responsibilities will be required within reason to support the needs and requirements of the Financial Reporting team
2. Support the Tax Manager and Tax Analyst in preparing statutory tax returns
• Gather data by running reports using Agresso and other university systems and requests to colleagues in finance and across the university
• Manipulate data gathered using Excel to assist with preparation of statutory returns including but not limited to: Corporation tax, VAT quarterly returns, VAT annual PESM partial exemption adjustment and Capital Goods Scheme, Indian Tax return, and Country by Country reporting
• Additional and ad hoc responsibilities will be required within reason to support the needs and requirements of Tax team
3. Support the management of the Accounting and Tax and Import/Export mailboxes
• Monitor emails in the University’s Accounting and Tax and Import/Export mailboxes and develop the knowledge to resolve some issues independently and escalate more complex queries to the Financial Reporting Manager, Tax Analyst, and Tax Manager.
• Provide cover for the Import Mailbox when the Tax Technician is on leave
4. Support the Financial Controls, Compliance & Insurance Team
• Assist with the development and maintenance of the University’s financial controls framework
• Assist with the annual insurance renewal procurement process
• Provide support where financial analysis is required to support the submission or defence of insurance claims
• Develop knowledge to deal with some insurance enquiries
5. Support to the Treasury Team
• Assist with daily, weekly and monthly treasury procedures
• Assist the team with administrative tasks including but not limited to providing certificates and documentation to banks and other funders
6. Personal development and commitment to study
• Study for a professional accounting qualification (ACCA)
• Develop knowledge of the University’s structure, accounting systems and statutory reporting obligations
• Develop data analysis skills, in particular use of Excel
Knowledge, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
A1 Degree qualified, in any discipline, with a commitment to commence a professional accounting qualification
A2 Demonstrate an interest in a career in finance and accounting
C1 Good skills in the use of Microsoft packages such as Excel, Word and PowerPoint
C2 Strong organisational skills
C3 Ability to prioritise workload to respond quickly and efficiently
C4 Effective and reliable communication skills
C5 Strong attention to detail
C6 High level of numeracy
C7 Ability to analyse information and identify when further information is required
C8 Ability to identify where issues require escalation
C9 Teamworking skills
E1 Experience of team working and personally providing good customer service
E2 Experience of working to deadlines
E3 Experience of self-development
F1 Experience of a working in an administrative or accounting environment
Terms and Conditions
Salary will be Grade 4, £22,197 – £24,715 per annum.
This post is full time (35 hours per week) and fixed term for up to 3 years.
As part of Team UofG you will be a member of a world changing, inclusive community, which values ambition, excellence, integrity and curiosity.
As a valued member of our team, you can expect:
1 A warm welcoming and engaging organisational culture, where your talents are developed and nurtured, and success is celebrated and shared.
2 An excellent employment package with generous terms and conditions including 41 days of leave for full time staff, pension – pensions handbook https://www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/payandpensions/pensions/, benefits and discount packages.
3 A flexible approach to working.
4 A commitment to support your health and wellbeing, including a free 6-month UofG Sport membership for all new staff joining the University https://www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/staff/healthwellbeing/.
We believe that we can only reach our full potential through the talents of all. Equality, diversity and inclusion are at the heart of our values. Applications are particularly welcome from across our communities and in particular people from the Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) community, and other protected characteristics who are under-represented within the University. Read more on how the University promotes and embeds all aspects of equality and diversity within our community https://www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/humanresources/equalitydiversity/.
We endorse the principles of Athena Swan https://www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/humanresources/equalitydiversity/athenaswan/ and hold bronze, silver and gold awards across the University.
We are investing in our organisation, and we will invest in you too. Please visit our website https://www.gla.ac.uk/explore/jobs/ for more information.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.