Uplift is a campaigning and research organisation helping to move the UK towards a fossil
fuel-free future and to support a just transition away from fossil fuel production. We have an
opportunity for an experienced and highly motivated Press Officer to join our team. This is an
exciting opportunity to promote the UK’s ambitious movement to phase out oil and gas extraction
in the UK.
As Uplift’s press officer, you will play a central role in ensuring that our
messages, research, and campaigns influence public and political debate through the media.
Your role will involve working with researchers and campaigners in Uplift to place stories,
making the most of reactive opportunities, and ensuring key journalists are fully briefed on
the public case for the UK’s transition away from oil and gas extraction. The role involves
understanding the politics of UK energy policy, including the influence of the oil and gas
industry, and how this can be challenged and shaped in the public interest through the media.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Monitor coverage and react to stories with comment and spokespeople
- Draft and issue proactive and reactive press materials, such as press releases, briefings and
- Plan to make the most of opportunities around relevant calendar hooks and announcements
- Maintain and update media lists and a network of spokespeople
- Coordinate with colleagues in research and campaign teams on wider campaign strategy and
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Experience of working within a similar press officer role
- Track record of securing national, regional and broadcast coverage
- Good relationships with relevant UK national journalists
- Creative thinking and excellent writing skills, with the ability to communicate with a range
of audiences, for example, political audiences, or tabloid press
- Excellent news sense, with a strong working knowledge of the UK media
- Keen interest in and understanding of UK politics
- A strong commitment to Uplift’s mission and core values of equity and climate justice.
The Press Officer will report to Tamasin Cave, Uplift’s Strategic Communications Advisor.
Please email a CV (2 pages) and cover letter (2 pages) to [email protected]. We can only accept applications with
both a CV and a cover letter.
Please use the cover letter to say why you want to work for Uplift and how you could use your
experience to meet the responsibilities of the role. Should you have any specific questions you
wish to discuss about your application then send an email to [email protected]. We will ask successful applicants to
complete a written test along with a standard interview.
Uplift values diversity and welcomes applications from candidates from minority backgrounds.
Therefore we also encourage candidates to complete the
equality and diversity monitoring form and send along with your CV and covering letter.
This is needed to collect monitoring data to ensure we are doing all we can to encourage
applications for people of all backgrounds. Questions are optional and your answers will be
treated confidentially and will in no way affect your application. This form is removed from
your application when we receive it and does not form any part of the shortlisting or interview
Unfortunately, we can only consider candidates who are already eligible to work in the UK.
Location: UK, can be home-based
Hours: Standard working hours 9.00 – 17.30, but some availability for early
starts and weekends will be required
Length of contract: Full-time, one year contract with high likelihood of
Benefits: 3% employer pension contribution, Employee Assistance Programme,
consideration of flexible working requirements and work/workplace adjustments where required
Starting date: ASAP
Closing date: 11pm Sunday 26th November
Proposed Interviews: w/c Monday 3rd December
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.