We are delighted to be offering this exciting opportunity to become a part-time Principal
Ecologist at Maydencroft Limited. This role will offer a huge amount of flexibility with the
opportunity to support and develop our ecology team, build the quality and breadth of our
services, and to advise on and strengthen our approach to Ecology and Nature Recovery.
We are looking to appoint a Principal Ecologist that can take a leading role in our consultancy and use their experience, qualifications and licenses to coordinate protected species work in addition to all other aspects of ecological consultancy.
The role would be well suited to experienced Principal Ecologists who are keen to have all the freedom of their own company but with the backing and support of an established multi-disciplinary firm. We are looking for someone who shares all of our passions for ecology and nature recovery, and for developing the next generation of ecological professionals.
- Provide mentoring, training support and guidance for the Ecology team
- Quality Assurance of Ecological Impact Assessments, Habitat Regulations Assessments, licence
applications and other important ecological documents
- Coordination and delivery of Biodiversity Net Gain (BNG) projects, including undertaking desktop
studies, baseline site assessments, metric calculations, and interim feasibility plans;
- Proofing and signing off ecological reports, and providing constructive feedback; contributing to
report production where required;
- Keeping up to date with changes in policy and guidance related to BNG and protected species
- Researching and implementing innovative solutions to habitat assessment and monitoring, such as
- Being responsible for Project Management, including coordinating internal staff and external
consultants, client communication, tracking progress and meeting targets, and financial management;
- Developing and maintaining relationships with clients, project stakeholders, sub-consultants, and
our own internal teams;
- Develop an influential professional profile at a national level such as leading conference
presentations, writing in publications and participating at events;
The role may include Line Management of other consultants.
- A degree in ecology or a relevant environmental subject;
- Substantial consultancy experience;
- Full member of CIEEM
- Experience managing complex/large scale ecological projects
- Able to apply for bat (common species required, scarcer species desirable), badgers (live dig and
disturbance) and GCN licences, including low impact;
- Thorough and up-to-date understanding of Biodiversity Net Gain, UK Habs and Metric 4.0;
- Excellent understanding of UK wildlife and habitats, and related legislation;
- Excellent botanical knowledge and plant id skills;
- Applied experience undertaking BNG work and using Metric 4.0;
- Able to work independently and manage time effectively;
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office;
- Excellent written skills and ability to produce highly professional work;
- Excellent communication skills and English language skills;
- Brilliant leadership qualities people management skills with the ability to influence and mentor;
- Excellent people skills, business acumen and exemplary work ethic;
- Full, clean driving licence.
- Experience of line managing staff.
- Post-graduate qualification in a related subject;
- Competent in use of GIS, CAD and other specialist software;
- FISC Level 3 botanical ID certificate
The Principal Ecologist will have total workplace flexibility. They will work where they want, how they want and on what they want in order to fulfil their role to the best of their ability and be given every opportunity to take ownership of their responsibilities.
It is anticipated that the role will be for 2 days per week, but subject to negotiation.
At Maydencroft, we believe in fostering a work environment that values our employees’ wellbeing and growth. When you join our team, you can expect:
- Professional development: Opportunities to enhance your skills through training and career growth.
- Meaningful impact: The chance to contribute to projects that make a positive difference.
- Supportive culture: A team that values open communication, creativity, and kindness.
- Over 20 other workplace benefits listed on the website
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.