This role is responsible for supporting the Energy Manager in Commercial Operations in
proactively managing the successful delivery of projects as they arise within HS2 energy
procurement and management and collaborating with other directorates to support the energy
strategy. Commercial Operations is evolving as the programme matures and as such different
processes and procedures are required to come into play at different stages. This role is to be
able to respond to these ad-hoc requirements and maintain even workflow for teams. The role has
a high degree of autonomy and interacts with Commercial Operations SLT daily and across the SSD
function to ensure that critical project and milestones are delivered in line with the Energy
Strategy and the HS2 Net Zero Carbon Plan.
About the role
- To be responsible for providing project management support to the Energy Manager within
- To support the delivery plan so that HS2 is ready for commercial operations and enabling
stakeholders to collaborate and make informed decisions about the operational phase
- Interface with relevant HS2 or external stakeholders, for their project, as required
- To monitor that the change generated from both the Construction/Delivery teams is
appropriately managed; including scope changes and cost changes that impact on the
affordability of the project, escalating issues to the Energy Manager as required
- To robustly report the progression of the project deliverables to the Energy Manager within
the Commercial Operations programme at any required forums / panels, on a routine and ad hoc
- To ensure that project plans are developed, maintained, and analysed to identify and
- To identify and ensure that appropriate mitigating actions are implemented to address
potential milestone slippages and escalating issues as required
- Actively promote and embed Equality Diversity and Inclusion in all work, and support and
comply with all organisational initiatives, policies, and procedures on EDI.
- Project management – the ability to plan and integrate programmes of work and effectively
manage those projects.
- Collaboration Skills – ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders in many
different disciplines across HS2 to achieve successful outcomes.
- Communication and Influencing Skills – ability to produce clear communications which engage
and influence colleagues and external stakeholders at all levels.
- Reporting – ability to provide reports for internal and external governance forums.
- Computer literate and proficient at using Office productivity and team working applications
- Understanding of project and programme management.
- Broad understanding of energy and implications on climate change
- Understanding of how businesses and organisations operate, their role(s) within them, and
how they contribute effectively as part of a team.
Type of Experience:
- Experience in a business/commercial environment
- Experience of developing management competencies within a project or programme.
High Speed 2 (HS2 Ltd) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving
capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major
population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd will create a skills legacy and develop a diverse range of talent. We aim to be a
leader in EDI practice by creating a safe & inclusive working environment for all our staff
– living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership.
In practice, this means we are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing
flexible working, encouraging our staff networks to flourish and providing personal and
professional development opportunities.
HS2 Ltd is also a safety-critical organisation. Employees are required to ensure reasonable
care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working
to our ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.
HS2 Ltd endeavours to ensure everyone working for us and with us feels included, thrives and
achieves their full potential.
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.