Somerset Drainage Boards Consortium
The Senior Engineer will lead in the delivery of engineering services for the Boards and the
Consortium, including those undertaken on behalf of Professional Partners.
The Somerset Drainage Boards Consortium is the organisation that manages the operations and
affairs of three Internal Drainage Boards (IDBs) in Somerset (The Axe Brue, The North Somerset
Levels and the Parrett IDBs) providing them with finance, engineering, legal, environmental and
administration services via a team of in-house staff and consultants. The main activity of the
Boards is to manage water levels and Flood Risk within their respective catchments for the
protection of people, property and the environment.
The primary role of the Senior Engineer is to lead in the delivery of Engineering Services to
Working alongside an experienced team you will:
- Deliver capital and maintenance land drainage and flood risk management works for the IDB,
as dictated by the Board’s overall strategy and with adherence to all legislation and all good
practice with respect to contracting, operations, health and safety and any other areas of
relevant legislation and regulations.
- Advise the Operations and Maintenance teams on engineering matters and manage engineering
works when necessary.
- Advise the Development Control Team on engineering matters and contribute to assessments of
consents and planning consultations when necessary.
- Seek contributions for grant aid and other funding for engineering works.
- Undertake appraisal, investigation, design and delivery of assigned engineering projects of
the Boards and the Consortium.
- Assist in the management, operation and improvement of the land drainage, flood risk and
water level management network.
- Commission specialist suppliers for carrying out surveys and investigations as appropriate
to inform project design with due regard to the Boards’ procurement policy.
- Produce contract and tender documents for works procurement and prepare Tender Reports for
informing contract award.
- Monitor Project budgets.
- Represent the IDB at SRA Technical Group meetings and, as appropriate, with contributing
councils, professional associations and key stakeholders.
- Provide ad-hoc written and verbal reports to the Chief Executive/Clerk.
- To collaborate with colleagues in the Consortium and provide them with technical advice on
engineering and contracting matters and to keep up to date with developments and trends in
This post is Full Time based from our office in Highbridge, with site visits across the Boards
areas forming part of the role.
Experience and skills
- HND in Civil Engineering or Environmental Engineering.
- 5+ years’ experience acting in a senior engineering role.
- Experience in appraisal, design, procurement and supervision of civil engineering works.
- Working knowledge of ICE and NEC forms of contract.
- Detailed knowledge of Health & Safety legislation including CDM.
- Working knowledge of Civil Engineering Specification for the Water Industry or similar.
- Chartered Engineer or experienced and actively working towards Chartered Engineer status.
- Construction Skills Certification Scheme qualification.
- Knowledge of Flood Risk and/or Water Level Management.
- IT Literate in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power-Point and AutoCAD.
- Good interpersonal, negotiating and presentational skills.
- Ability to record and present information clearly.
- Experience in the design of sustainable and environmentally sound construction techniques.
- Knowledge of the structural design of water related structures.
- Experience writing successful applications for grant funding and other income streams for
In return we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes
- A competitive salary dependant on experience.
- A Local Government pension scheme.
- Generous Annual Leave.
For more information or to discuss the post further please send you CV and Covering Letter to
[email protected] or contact us on 01278 789906.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesin.eu) you saw this job posting.